16222Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Cherokee Blood in Jackson County

  • Chris Roberts
    Sep 21, 2013
      In many cases that is correct Karl.  However, a full MtDNA sequence has the possibility to be more indicative of a close match.  Although I have numerous matches at the HRV I and II level, I have no known matches at the full sequence.  However, not everyone tests to that level.   Should I have a match at that level, the probability of a relationship in a genealogical time frame would be much higher.   I have read of folks using MtDNA to validate trees and some of finding relatives, but I have not found effective in my situation.  I am sure some would argue the point, but I concur with your assessment.

      Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:04 PM
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Cherokee Blood in Jackson County

      Thank you for your response, Christine.

      With such a slow rate of change, it seems like the only usefulness of mtDNA would be aggregating people into very large subgroups of the human population (such as the discussion on this board concerning Cherokee ancestry), since so many people would have the same mtDNA.

      Is this correct, and is there anything else I am missing regarding this?

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic