16219Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Cherokee Blood in Jackson County

  • Kyle Davenport
    Sep 21, 2013
      I suspect Karl is not so much interested in the mutation rate as he is to the utility of the mtDNA tests.   The answer is a couple questions down from the one Christine links to.  (6. How many generations back does mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) testing trace?)   Mutations happen really, really slowly, even in the HVR1&2 test (Hyper-Variable Regions) that FamilyTreeDNA offers.     You could conceivably test a genealogy question with the Full mtDNA test, but that is expensive.   My experience, and from what I have heard, is that most people do not even have a match at the HVR1&2 level.

      On 09/21/2013 02:09 AM, Chris Roberts wrote:

      HI Karl,

      Yes, Karl estimates have been made by the scientific community, but it depends on which area of the mitochondria.  The control region has a faster mutation rate and reflects newer mutations, thus it is more likely to be useful for genealogical purposes.  The coding region mutates slower and is the region used to determine haplogroups (http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=10#2137.)   ...
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic