      From: Chris Roberts <cmroberts03@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:09 AM
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Cherokee Blood in Jackson County

      HI Karl,

      Yes, Karl estimates have been made by the scientific community, but it depends on which area of the mitochondria.  The control region has a faster mutation rate and reflects newer mutations, thus it is more likely to be useful for genealogical purposes.  The coding region mutates slower and is the region used to determine haplogroups (http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=10#2137.)    Scientific papers can differ on the average mutation rate, depending on the methodology used as well as other factors.  Since I am not smart enough to determine which rate might be correct, I have included a link to “The Mutation Rate in the Human mtDNA Control Region” which addresses the mutation rate of the control region.  Further, a search for MTDNA mutation rate will produce numerous results.

      Hopefully, others will have a better answer.

      Christine