16204Re: [jacksongenealogy] Cherokee Blood in Jackson County

  • Patricia Elleven
    Sep 19, 2013
      I am interested in Samuel Riley. My gg-grandmother was Riley by way of Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri and finally heeding Stephen F. Austin's call to Texas. She had nothing to do with Jackson Co., forgive me here - but she was part of a well documented group of Catholic settlers  who went forever west on the "Catholic Trail." Religious persecution paid a large part. Indeed, Maryland was founded by Lord Baltimore as a Catholic haven.

      I wonder if there is any documentation on Samuel Riley's origins? I see that Samuel Keys, his partner, was reputedly from Maryland. I wonder if there is a connection with Samuel Riley and the Maryland Catholics? They appeared very early in many wilderness areas freshly opened to new settlement, where the modus operandi appears to be: sending out one or two young men to assess an area, then emigrating en masse.

      Pat Elleven

      On Sep 19, 2013, at 11:02 PM, Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...> wrote:

      "GU-LU-STI-YU ( A-Ni-Gi-Lo-Hi, Long Hair Clan) married an English trader and translator, SAMUEL RILEY. Sam Riley married two of Doublehead's daughters, thus securing the family fortune. He seized most of Chief Doublehead's personal property after his murder in 1807. Riley was known as the "White Patron" of Gideon Blackburn's School. Although he is reported to have fathered five children by Ni-go-di-ge-yu and eleven by Gu-lu-sti-yu, it is quite possible that he falsely claimed two wives in order to ensure his entitlements to Doublehead's fortune. On April 28, 1819, Riley filed a suit for his entitlements, about fifteen days before he succumb to an illness. He is assumed to have been Doublehead's son in law solely on the basis of his last will and testament, which was accepted by the Supreme Court of the Cherokee Nation on October 25, 1825, as recorded by John Martin. Sam Riley and Gu-Lu-Sti-Yu raised their children as white in Roane Co. Tennessee, near Fort Loudon.

      The Daughter of Gu-Lu-Sti-Yu and Samuel Riley:
      6. MARY "POLLY" RILEY (A-Ni-Gi-Lo-Hi, Long Hair Clan) married SAMUEL KEYS II... Son of Riley's partner, SAMUEL KEYS. It was thought Samuel Keys was from England or Northern Ireland and settled in Maryland. At some point he moved with his sons to Indian Country, in what is now Tennessee where he partnered up with Sam Riley. Three Riley sisters married three Keys brothers. Polly married Samuel Keys II, Elizabeth Riley married Isaac Keys and Sallie Riley married William Keys.
      Taking advantage of the McMinn treaty of 1817, the three brothers built a steamboat by tying logs together and powered it by an engine they built themselves. On this boat they took their families down the Tennessee River to lay claim to land in Indian Territory in the right of their wives who were half Cherokee. They tied up near Mud Creek in Old Fabius, Jackson Co., Alabama and each family staked their reservation of 640 acres. The area is now known as Roach's Cove."  Note - This is not my work.

      Jerry in Chattanooga

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic