16137Re: [jacksongenealogy] Help with Gentle family research 1900-1905

  • Larry Williams
    Sep 9, 2013
      I have a Sadie Belle Gentle married to James William Benton Latham. She was born in Winegar, Jackson, Alabama and died in Larkinsville, Jackson, Alabama. I did no further research on her since she was not a direct line but I do have info on her, her children, etc.
      Larry Williams
      lgwilliams1947@...

      On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM, David Malbuff <malbuff@...> wrote:

      I can give you a tiny bit of background on the Gentle family. They lived at or near Lim Rock. There is (or was until quite recently) an old store along the stage road from Lim Rock too Larkinsville, near Stephens Gap, that is visible from the 35 highway. It has the name "Gentle" on it.

      The Gentle family married, though quite indirectly, into the Larkin and Stephens branches of our family in Jackson.  One Dora Jane Gentle (1900-1931), daughter of Jeremiah Milton Gentle (b. 1876) and granddaughter of Thomas Milton Gentle, married a man named Rousseau in 1919. Their son, Hurshel B Rousseau, married Willie Bernice Stephens, a direct descendant of patriarch Josiah Stephens (ca. 1771-1848) who came to the area when it was still Indian territory. All three of these families lived in the Lim Rock area for decades. There is a book in the research room of the Scottsboro library compiled by Mr Rousseau's family and others that may shed more light on the Gentle family.  I forget the exact title but it has "Lim Rock" in the title. Some of you have seen the crude hand-drawn map of early Lim Rock settlements I transcribed from the original drawing therein. I urge you to take a look at that book.

      There's also Ann Ovica "Aunt Ovie" Gentle. I don't know her relation  to the Gentles mentioned earlier, but I am sure there is a link. "Aunt Ovie," who was likely born sometime around 1820, married our "Old Uncle Bill" Larkin, a Huntland, Tenn., pioneer, in 1858 after his first wife died. He was in his sixties. After he passed, "Aunt Ovie" eventually married again. Addie Larkin, who chronicled our family history in Tennessee and Alabama, said this about her second marriage:

      "Aunt Ovie" Uncle Bill's last wife, years after he died, when she was 97,  married a Mr. Satterfield, who was 65. They with his daughter and her husband, Mollie and Jones Keith, moved to Huntsville, Ala. and lived in the Hummell house on Walker Street across from Arthur & Delia L. Bean home. She died there and was buried at Beach Grove Cemetery. Mr Satterfield committed suicide in the
      Mt. Carmel Church, Huntland and asked to be buried under one of the trees there. His was the first grave in Mt. Carmel Cemetery.  Aunt Ovie was living with Uncle Bill and Aunt Julia Larkin and was bedfast. They got her up and dressed her in one of her old fashioned silk dresses for her wedding. She could not stand without support and had to be carried from the house to the gate. I witnessed the ceremony but can't recall who performed it.   Mr Satterfield married her for her money. They with his daughter's family moved to Huntsville, where she died. (Addie Larkin)"

      (The "Uncle Bill" and "Aunt Julia" references are to "Old Uncle Bill's" grand-nephew and grand-daughter, respectively.)

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Starsburg, Virginia

          From: Heidi Peckens

      Message
      1. Help with Gentle family research 1900-1905
          Posted by: "Heidi Peckens" heidi@... peckens71
          Date: Fri Sep 6, 2013 2:19 pm ((PDT))

      Hello!

      I am searching formation on the family of Clinton E. Gentle, who lived in
      Jackson county around 1900-1905.

      Clinton is the brother of Malissa Gentle Higginbotham,  wife of P.W.
      Higginbotham.  It is my  understanding from the census records that after
      1905 Clinton left Jackson county and was living in Blount county with
      Melissa and P.W.. He died in 1917 and is buried in Scottsboro.

      Any information on this family would be greatly appreciated! !

      Heidi Peckens

      Messages in this topic (1)

      Thank you for being a member of the Jackson County, Alabama genealogy group.God bless America

      <*> Your email settings:
          Digest Email  | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)