16120Re: DNA testing

  • waccess@bellsouth.net
    Jul 17, 2013
      Unfortunately, with genealogy DNA testing, we can't do that. We order and pay for the testing kits, which have the swabs in them. The relative swabs his/her cheek and sends the kit back. Then the company analyzes the swabs, and we get the results. In some cases, I've split the cost of the kits with other relatives who are interested too. That makes the tests reasonable. The last one we did on my mother's father's line, we split four ways, so that really brought the cost down.

      I think I've heard or read that if you buy the correct kind of swabs, you can save the DNA for later analysis, but that was for medical or some other testing, not genealogy. Wish we could do it that way. I'd have everybody possible tested. :-)