16098Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGGINS who married Nancy Smith in 1814

  • Paula Tarrant
    Jul 1 8:37 AM
      Hello.
      Thank you for the information in regards to obtaining the obituary of
      George W. and Nancy Higgins. I will definitely look into that, although I
      fear it will be a sad story.
      I'm descended from George W. Higgins and his wife, Nancy. Their son,
      William J., was my great-great grandfather.
      William J. Higgins: born 5/21/1828 Jackson County, Alabama
      died 6/29/1894 Jackson County,
      Alabama
      William J. Higgins moved to Montgomery County, Mississippi in the
      1850's. He married Frances (Fannie) Estis (born 9/25/1837, Carroll County,
      MS) in 1856. She was the daughter of William J. Estis and Sarah Ann
      Redditt. They had 6 children: George, Robert W., Margaret S. (my
      great-grandmother), Mabel, and John Y.
      Around 1868, William returned to Jackson County with his family, living
      in the Big Coon area, according to the 1870 census. Fannie Estis Higgins
      died 10/25/1879, and William J. Higgins died 6/29/1894. Both are buried in
      Robertson Cemetery near Scottsboro.
      Sincerely, Paula Tarrant