15996RE: [jacksongenealogy] Sharecroppers

  • JLH
    Jun 7 2:58 AM
      My mother's father owned a couple of farms in Langston and had share croppers rent the home and farm. It was however a secondary occupation with the families and the men for the most part had other jobs also and farmed in there off time and family members would help with the farming Grandpa Treece would except a small amount of the crops for him and my grandmothers own consumption as part of the rent. I can remember going to one of the farms during hog killing time when I was very young.

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of blackcloud27030@...
      Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:18 PM
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sharecroppers

      Jerry

      Most poor whites who lived in the rural South were sharecroppers and were exploited by the landowners since you were forced to buy everything at the company store on credit and you never made enough to pay off your debt and buy seed and your needs for the coming year. Only with the coming of the mills in the late 1920s and 1930s did most poor whites get out of sharecropping. WW2 more or less killed the system with whites. The same system was used in the company stores with the coal miners in KY and WVA.

      Clay