      From: Jerry Triplett <jrytrplt@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2013 4:56 PM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Sharecroppers

      Most often sharecropping is used as an example of how whites in the South took a advantage of free, poor Blacks following the Civil War. It is used as an example of the worst of the worst exploitation.

      After looking at my ancestors in Jackson County, I think many of them were sharecroppers. They were white, landless, and I'm pretty sure, poor. I've never seen that term applied to them.

      Anyone know how land rents were paid in Jackson County in the first half of the 20th century?