15880Re: Meredith Carter Jr? b. 1836 Alabama

  • quietholler.dana
    Feb 1, 2013
      Clay- The plot thickens:

      Prudence Carter
      Age: 81
      Birth Year: abt 1799
      Birthplace: North Carolina
      Home in 1880: Prairie, Newton, Arkansas
      Race: White
      Gender: Female
      Relation to Head of House: Mother
      Marital Status: Divorced
      Father's Birthplace: North Carolina
      Mother's Birthplace: North Carolina
      Neighbors: View others on page
      Occupation: Unemployed

      Household Members:
      Name Age
      Merideth Carter 47
      Nancy Carter 43
      Marideth Carter 15
      Joseph Carter 13
      Malinda Carter 10
      Addleline Carter 8
      Jane Carter 4
      Prudence Carter 81

      I found these records on Ancestry a while back and stopped working on the Carters for a while, I found them so confusing. In this census Prudence is listed as mother of Meridith, and is divorced. I don't know enough of Carter history to understand how this group fits together. Prudence must be the daughter of Barney and Mary Jacks Carter, but I'm not so sure that this Meredith is son of Meredith and Martha Elizabeth. I also didn't know that Prudence and Jesse were divorced. Do you think Jesse's age was right on the 1850 census? He would have been quite a few years younger than Prudence, if so.

      Have you noticed how the Carters seem to have "mirror images" in Tennessee. Thee are Littleton and Logan Carters there also. Sorry to be all questions and no answers. Genealogy is interesting. Dana