15486DNA Messer/Bynum link

  • quietholler.dana
    May 5, 2012
      Hello- I was one of the 12,000 lucky people who was able to get a $10 autosomal DNA test from Ancestry.com. So far, I've had two matches with people descended from James Bynum (1789 NC- 1868 AL)- one was a fairly close match: fourth cousins. As I emailed my cousin with this news today, I realized there are people who participate in this group who might be interested in this information also. Here is my lineage:

      me, Dana
      mom, Mary Nichols
      grandma, Anna Belle Messer
      Ggrandpa, Monroe Jasper Messer
      GGgrandpa, Jesse Greenberry Messer
      GGGgrandparents, William Messer & Sarah Elizabeth Bynum

      Prior to this, the only evidence I had that William Messer's wife Sarah was Sarah Bynum, was circumstantial (location, names). If anyone has traditional documentation of that relationship, please share :-D

      While the DNA matches don't replace paper documentation, they make me feel secure in leaving Sarah Elizabeth Bynum on my tree. I'm hoping for more matches from my Jackson County families. Best, Dana
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic