      From: Regina Pipes <rgpipes@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:22 PM
      Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] ancestry.com versus familysearch.org

      Ever go to familysearch.org and when it comes up you can only view it through Ancestry.com pay site?

      jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of blackcloud27030@...
      Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:56 PM
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

      Regina

      No, ancestry.com is a publicly traded for profit company which owns several different genealogy outfits but family.search is is not one of them. A non-profit company familysearch.org was established and is run by the Mormon Church. While ancestry.com is headquartered in Provo, UT it has no connection to the Church though ancestry and familysearch do on occasion take on joint ventures I believe.

      Google: "who owns ancestry.com" to read the article on them at wikipedia. You can do the same with familysearch.org.

      Another way to put it is ancestry.com charges you while familysearch.org is free.

      Clay