14809Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Ruhama Green's Parents - Harmony, Jackson Co.

  • John Green
    Sep 9 7:26 AM
      Bill and Clay,

      To my knowledge, William H. Green and Charlotte E. Green (nee McCollum) built the house that still stands on the north side of AL 65 in the big curve just south of the Tennessee line and lived there until their deaths. William and Charlotte built this house in 1874 after buying the land from Charlotte's brother, Newton Franklin McCollum (who had married William's sister, Nancy Emaline Green). My cousin, Elvis Green, has given me a copy of the History of Francisco Community written by Fred Green in 1928 and then updated by Elvis and his mother Eugenia to bring it up to date. This document states that the town was named for War Between the States hero Francisco Rice. A Post Office was established here in 1874 with M. H. Rich as Postmaster. He was succeeded 4 years later by William H. Green who served for 30 years using his store as the Post Office. About 1908 the Post Office was moved across Larkin Creek to J. F. Hall's store where he served as Post Master. Six years later, William's son Charlie Green was named Post Master and the Office moved back across the creek to W. H. Green's store. Charlie served until 1940 when his wife, Sallie, was named Post Mistress. She served until the Post Office was closed in 1957.

      Ruhamia was William and Charlotte's first born, but I am unclear on her birth date. I don't know who she married or where she lived. I have no idea where Harmony was located, but I tend to agree with Bill Cagle that it was probably at the intersection of Larkin Fork and Puncheon Creek.

      John McCollum Green