14587THOMAS A. HILL

  • Ann B. Chambless
    May 31, 2011
      Billy Hill (of Texas) was a long time member of the Jackson County
      Historical Association, and I did some census and land records research
      for him. Several years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Billy Hill and
      his wife when they visited in Jackson County and was able to show them
      the area where Thomas A. and Nancy Hill and their son, Ellis Hill
      (Billy's ancestor) owned property in the Bridgeport, AL, area. Thomas
      A. Hill purchased land in Sections 25 and 26 in Township 1, Range 8 East
      in Jackson County, AL. His land was located about half way between
      Bridgeport and Old Bolivar near what is known today as the Mount Carmel
      community.
      Thomas A. Hill is found on the 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, and 1870 Jackson
      County, AL censuses.
      Thomas A. Hill was appointed a deacon in Rocky Springs Church of Christ
      in June 1851. Other Hill family members on the church roll included:
      Nancy Hill
      Ellison G. Hill
      Winnie Hill
      Mrs. L. W. Hill
      Angeline Hill
      Juda (Sellers) Hill
      Isaac Mills
      Rachel Hill
      James B. Hill
      Ann Hill (deceased in 1875)
      Christian Hill (She was called Chrissy in the 1850 Jackson Co. census)
      Amanda (Hill) Blansett
      Rachel (Cloud) Hill was also on the church roll.
      I also learned from early Jackson County, AL, marriage records that
      Thomas and Nancy's daughter, Martha, married Isaac Mills on December 2,
      1852. Billy Hill said it was their daughter, Josephine Mills, who was
      living with Thomas A. and Nancy Hill at the time of the 1860 census.
      Isaac Mills was received by letter on September 5, 1857, at Rocky
      Springs Church of Christ which is located about 2 miles west of downtown
      Bridgeport, AL.
      There was a James A. Hill who married Rawse (?Rosie) Potts on June 27,
      1852, and a James N. Hill who married Rachel J. Ridge on March 12,
      1867. Ellis Hill married Elizabeth Thompson. Louisa Hill married
      James Pitts on Jan 4, 1860.

      Ann B. Chambless