14461Re: [jacksongenealogy] Civil War Service Files (correct subject)

  • Clay Gullatt
    Apr 5, 2011
      --- On Tue, 4/5/11, Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

      From: Clay Gullatt <blackcloud27030@...>
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Schools in the 1870's in Jackson Co AL
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 11:39 PM

      Roger

      What you are seeing at footnote.com is not the original service records but what a copyist has extracted from the original records. This could include from enlistment lists, muster rolls, clothing rolls, hospital records, POW records and many others. When you look down at the bottom of the cards there usually is the name of the copyist. There are scans of a few original records at footnote.com but not that many. You have to remember that a lot of records were destroyed during the war.

      I don't think that I have ever seen next of kin on any Confederate enlistment papers of the hundreds of records I have gone over.  You are lucky if it lists where they enlisted. The only times were I have seen next of kin listed is where next of kin, usually parents or wives, claimed pay that was due for those deceased. One of my Gullatt cousins in GA lost all three of his sons and went to claim their pay that was due.

      If you have some one who submitted a request for a pension then there is a lot more info on them in the original files which you would have to order, these records would be in the state's pension files rather than at NARA or footnote.

      There probably is more info on the soldiers at NARA but finding the records there is something else. There is a long list of Confederate Service Files at NARA. Go to NARA NAIL and enter confederate soldier service files in the search engine. If there are records of your soldier at NARA you can order copies of them. From what I saw as an example was the same thing at footnote. You would probably get better info from their pension file from the state.

      I believe others in this group have order pension files from the state and service files from NARA, so they could tell you exactly what they got.

      You can google NARA and then click on pre-1917 military service records.

      Clay

      From: Mark Klan <mark@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 5:43 PM

      The Alabama Archives link posted toward the bottom of this email below is the "live" result of a database search (http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/results.cfm). It won't work to view the output of someone else's search, or as a bookmark for your own search results, or for any other useful purpose because the Alabama archives doesn't include the search terms in the link itself (unlike Ancestry, for example). The database search function works great, but the web implementation is rather weak. Probably more that you wanted to know... :-)

      Anyway, if you ever want to see the results of a search of the Alabama Archives Civil War database, you always have to return to the original search screen and re-run the search from scratch. Here's the correct link:
      http://www.archives.alabama.gov/civilwar/search.cfm

      Hope this helps.

      Mark

      Sunday, April 3, 2011, 10:39:15 PM, Betty wrote:
      > This link is not working, but I will check into this to see if either are my ggggrandfather
      > Thank you
      > Betty

      {reminder of thread snipped}