10233RE: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Russel surname--- Millican connection

  • LINDA BROOKS
    Jul 1 3:15 PM
      If any of the following is familiar to anyone with Russell connections, I would appreciate your help. I live in Az., and have never been to Jackson Co. My g-g grandfather was named Thomas Russell. I found him in the 1860 census in Jackson Co. with wife, Martha Ottinger, and 4 children, Amanda,b.1853, Mary,b.1856, William,b.1858, and John. b.1860. He, along with the children dissappear after that, I have not been able to find any trace of them.However, Martha is in the 1870 census, living in the vicinity of several of her sisters along with a five year old child named Lucy. Then, in 1880 Martha is in Grayson Co., Tx., living with her sister and brother-in-law, John and Margaret Flowers. There is also Lucy and a 4 year old boy named John W. Russell. John W is my grandfather.He was born in Jackson Co. in 1875. He was orphaned at about 6 and was raised by family friends. He remembered nothing about his mother and didn't know he had siblings. Lucy also vanishes after the 1880 census, as far as I have been able to determine.
      I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might be able to give me. Thank you so much for your time.
      Linda Russell Brooks

      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom: psmith@...: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 20:23:16 +0000Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Russel surname--- Millican connection

      Sharon.... My Millicans from Jackson Co., AL are Benjamin and Rebecca Howell Millican (Millikan) from TN who settled in the Mud Creek area around 1838. It was their son Benjamin who married Sarah Russell from the Stevenson area. They along with Benj and Rebeccas's son Francis Marion Millican (my Line) and several other siblings moved to MO and then into Texas. All of this Millican family was gone from AL by around 1868 just after Rebecca died.If any of this sounds familiar to you please contact me. I will be happy to share information.pat--- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Sharon Henson <rhodasharon1944@...> wrote:>> What Millican family are you researching? I have an Elizabeth Millican that married Samuel Gay. These are my great grandparents. If they are in your line, I would like to talk to you either on list or off. > Gotta run as I have too many irons in the fire this morning.> Sharon Langham Henson granddaughter of John Nelson Gay and Elizabeth Millican.> > --- On Thu, 6/26/08, my_nana93309 <psmith@...> wrote:> > From: my_nana93309 <psmith@...>> Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Russel surname> To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com> Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 10:07 AM> > > > > > > I don't research the Russel surname, but do have a Russel connection > with my Millican family... both families being in Jackson Co., AL ca > 1840.> > Below is the information that I have. Hope this is of help to you.> > pat> bakersfield, ca> > Descendants of James Russell> > Generation No. 1> > 1. JAMES2 RUSSELL (MATTHEW1) was born Oct 1777 in Mecklenburg Co., > North Carolina, and died 18 Aug 1863 in Jackson Co., Alabama. He > married NELLY BAKER Abt. 1812. > > Notes for JAMES RUSSELL:> "James Russell was my great great grandfather. He was the first > judge in Jackson Co., Ala.; he was also a Representative to the State > Legislature in 1827-1829." From Walter Russell, March 01, 2007. All > the Russell family info comes from Walt.> > Child of JAMES RUSSELL and NELLY BAKER is:> 2. i. WILLIAM CROGHAN3 RUSSELL, b. 27 Sep 1813, North > Carolina; d. 03 Nov 1856, Jackson Co., Alabama.> > Generation No. 2> > 2. WILLIAM CROGHAN3 RUSSELL (JAMES2, MATTHEW1) was born 27 Sep 1813 > in North Carolina, and died 03 Nov 1856 in Jackson Co., Alabama. He > married JANE ELIZABETH RUTHERFORD. She was born 15 Jan 1815 in > Tennessee, and died 11 Feb 1864.> > More About WILLIAM CROGHAN RUSSELL:> Burial: Russell Cemetery on old Russell Farm near Stevenson, AL> > More About JANE ELIZABETH RUTHERFORD:> Burial: Russel Cemetery on old Russell Farm near Stevenson, AL> > Children of WILLIAM RUSSELL and JANE RUTHERFORD are:> i. SARAH ELLEN C4 RUSSELL, b. 14 Oct 1843, Jackson Co., > Alabama; d. 18 Mar 1909, Irving, Tarrant Co., Texas; m. BENJAMIN F > MILLICAN, 1858; b. 08 May 1840, Jackson Co., Alabama; d. 30 Apr 1921, > Irving, Tarrant Co., Texas.> > More About SARAH ELLEN C RUSSELL:> Burial: Sowers Cemetery, Irving, Tarrant Co., Texas> > More About BENJAMIN F MILLICAN:> Burial: Sowers Cemetery, Irving, Tarrant Co., Texas> > ii. CHARLES RUSSELL, b. 14 Oct 1843, Jackson Co., Alabama.> > --- In jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "Pam Cain" <cmycats@ > > wrote:> >> > Hi,> > > > Are there any Russel surname researches on the list?> > > > One of my Hamilton research friends has been toying with the idea > that Russel Hamilton's mother was a Russel, and that maybe her father > was James Russel. There are several Russels living close to Russel > Hamilton in the 1830 Jackson census.> > > > Of course, we have no proof, but we also think that Russel Hamilton > was in fact, James Russel Hamilton. This was the name given to his > last son.> > > > There is somehow (need to look it up) a connection to Alfred G. > Russel with the Hamilton family.> > > > Is anyone researching the Russel family of Jackson Co? I would like > to compare notes.> > > > Thanks,> > Pam Cain> > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]> >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>