Re: [j4x-owners-group] Re: Problem Anchor Locker Moisture and Windlass Motor Failure

  • tony@shanomet.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
      My windlass seems to be troublesome every 3 years. A failure last week was due to corrosion from moisture in the anchor well.

      Moisture is a problem And there is very little that can be done about it. The anchor line goes in wet. I store my fenders in the well because they are lightweight and take up space that water might otherwise fill while at sea. I also tape the locker closed and cover the windless w plastic at sea.

      Yesterday I replaced all lugs and connectors. I used marine grade tinned copper coated connectors and coated the lugs with dielectric grease.  Also cut the corroded cabling back as much as I could but still had some small amount of corrosion which might lead to problems in the future.

      What I'm trying that is new is a weatherproof  j box. I'm hoping that will solve the problem or at least slow down the process.

      Tony J/42 #26
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 28, 2013, at 1:16 AM, "rersk" <rersk@...> wrote:

      The original Lewmar anchor windlass on our J46 corroded and seized after about 8 years due to moisture and salt water in the anchor locker. After the failure I realized I should have been paying more attention to the under-deck part of the windlass by cleaning and lubricating annually. It wasn't sufficiently sealed. I replaced it with a Lofrans Project 1000, a more powerful and faster windlass, better sealed with an internal solenoid control, eliminating the separate box control switch. I keep the under-deck part of the windlass coated with a light spray-on grease, and air the locker on sunny days. The locker drains get blocked with dirt from the anchor chain and need cleaning or the locker won't drain well. Storing absorbent things in the locker will hold moisture. Long distance cruising we always need spare fuel, and the anchor locker can hold from four to six 5 gallon plastic containers of fuel either empty or full, plus a spare anchor and rode. The plastic jugs don't hold moisture and help keep the locker dry.