Rudder Quadrant Loosening and Slippage

  • rersk
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2013
      The recent topic of steering linkage ball joint failure caught my attention. I've replaced the rudder-side ball joint once already on my 2002 J42 Cayenne, hull #65. I also carry a spare in my parts inventory. Later I found the clamp-on quadrant had become loose on the rudder shaft. The clue was a white powdery residue under the quadrant as it shifted on the shaft and chafed. It's hard to spot this loosening quadrant, and should be checked carefully. It was also fairly difficult to tighten the quadrant clamp bolts tight enough to secure the quadrant securely on the shaft. The J42 steering system is great, but it's difficult to access, takes a lot of stress, and is easy to take for granted.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2013
        The white powdery stuff is probably corrosion from the stainless steel bolts clamping the aluminum tiller arm, that have worked loose.  I use nylon locking nuts so they can't ( and never have ) loosen.  Use a socket wrench and they are actually quite easy to get at.  In order to have more room to work, I disconnect the starboard scupper hose at the bulkhead end.  Use plenty of TefGel on the bolts to make sure they don't weld themselves to the aluminum tiller arm.