Re: [j4x-owners-group] J-42 Steering Failure

  • Joseph Reed
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2013
      I have replace the Rod end bearing and now understand the failure mechanism. It appears that the quadrant had sliped down the rudder shaft about 1 inch. As the rudder is turned hard to port the draglink would hit the bottom of the opening in the aft cabin bulkhead as the rudder was put to the stop the pin was about 1/2 inch lower that it should have been applying a major upward force on the bearing assembly.

      Joe

      From: William Stellin <wstellin@...>
      Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:34 PM
      To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] J-42 Steering Failure

      Joe
      Those attachment points are so robust it is hard to fathom how one could break.  If the were so misaligned I would think it would be all but impossible to even steer.  Make sure stops are installed on the system to keep the rudder from going too far to either side.  If a stop is missing I could see the rudder turning beyond the limit of the drag link.  If a stop is missing it is usually because of the rudder slamming over while in reverse and breaking the stop.

      On Jul 30, 2013, at 4:15 PM, "hst_jreed" <joseph.w.reed@...> wrote:

      Last weekend I had a steering failure. The Whitlock Croba draglink rod end bearing on the rudder stock quadrant failed most like due to over stress due to a misalignment of the Draglink bearings.

      Lewmar now handles the Whitlock Croba steering system and only carry part for the M10 and M12 draglinks.

      Keep It Simple, hull #12 has a M-16 draglink. I attempted to order a replacement rod end bearing from McMaster-Carr but they only have standard threads and the draglink appears to have fine threads.

      Also, the Simrad HLD2000 hydraulic linear drive manual, that came with the boat, indicated that the rod end bearing is M12 while the actual unit has a M-20 shaft and bearing.

      I have put a call into US Watercraft for information but wanted to see what other have had any experienced with either the Cobra or

      I am getting hauled shortly to do bottom work and drop the rudder for inspection and reinforce the upper bearing interface, the bearing can not be secured adequately with the current configuration.

      Joe Reed, Keep It Simple, hull #12

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2013
        Glad you found the cause.  It is a good idea to get down in the aft locker space and watch the movement of the tiller arm and drag link from hard over to hard over to make sure everything is moving freely.  You might even try fitting the stud on the top or bottom of the tiller arm to allow movement with no binding.
        If you change the stud position you will also have to move the tiller arm up or down.
        It could be someone changed the stud position but never compensated for it by moving the tiller arm up or down