Re: [j4x-owners-group] rub rails on a J/42

  • sailgarrett
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 26, 2013
      I have a J 46 with a rub rail, installed during construction. I do not feel it detracts from the looks at all. It has a stainless steel cap. I still use fenders religiously but there are times when it has come in handy on unusual dockings, when a fender pops out due to a sea way or when getting off of a dock in a high wind blowing on to the dock. But it is not something that should be added with considerable thought. J put extra fibre glass (1/2" deep and 4" wide) on the opposite side of the hull from the rub rail to strengthen the area. That has proved to be important.

                Waddy

      In a message dated 7/26/2013 2:29:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bdwyer@... writes:

      I know that Eight Bells (#51) has a rub rail. According to the owner it was built at the factory from glass. Has anyone else added one and what is everybody's opinion on them. If/when we buy a J we will most likely paint it and it would make sense to me to add a rub rail as well.

      Cheers,