Re: [j4x-owners-group] Re: Polars for J/42, suitable for import into qtVlm

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013

      Jim
      Can you tell us the brand of PTFE tape you buy and where to get it.
      Thanks
      Bill Stellin.  #6

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 20, 2013, at 12:48 PM, "frheel1949" <brainardjim@...> wrote:

      New member here

      I am a big advocate for PTFE rigging tape. Not inexpensive, but well worth it. In two Pac Cups, (with more than a few "messy" moments) we have never torn a kite during a set, take down or gybe- we did blow one up after a collapse. Just clean the rig and apply the tape carefully wherever the rig may come in contact with either dacron or nylon.

      The qtVLm software looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.

      Jim

      J35c Brainwaves

      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "gmail account" <cdsail123@...> wrote:

      > Right! But it happens on those overnight races where changing sails in
      > windy conditions tends to get messy (we are not always pretty) so we have
      > caught a chute or two on the boot. Maybe a little care each year on
      > wrapping the boots would do my sails well.
      >

      > Conrad

    • Jim Brainard
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
        At the rigging shop at Svensen's in Alameda CA, it is called "million dollar tape" (and that is an apt discriptor).    It is transparent, perhaps 2-2.5" wide.

        I am not in CA and a web search did not turn up an identical product- there is a 3M product, but it is grey and I know my tape is transparent.  Dynaglide at APS appears very similar.  Maybe another group member can help.

        Jim   s/v Brainawaves

        --
        Best regards,  Jim

      • Robert Thuss
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013

          Atomic Tape (at boat shows) and Rescue Tape from Sailor’s Solutions are both great products

          http://sailorssolutions.com/?page=ProductDetails&Item=RT02

          For basic rigging (covering pins etc) I always use a lot of plain white electrical tape at $.99/roll:

          http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7858/Electrical-Tape/3-4-x-20-yards-White-Electrical-Tape

          I subscribe to this adage:

          If it moves, lube it.

          If it doesn’t move, tape it!

          Robert

          --

          Best regards,  Jim

          The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

          We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.