RE: [j4x-owners-group] Polars for J/42, suitable for import into qtVlm

  • gmail account
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013

    Attached are variations of polars from a number of J42 owners.

    Separately, do you or any other J42 owners use spreader boots?  I have but have caught and ripped two spinnakers on them so I am going to take them off.

    CD

    Message 2 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013
      I do have spreader boots, no problem w spinnakers, though I try not to have the spinnaker touch the spreader tips. Mine are soft leather stitched around the tips, it is attractive and I think protects the headsails.
      Thanks for the polars.
      Tony

      From: gmail account <cdsail123@...>
      Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:11:34 -0500
      To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [j4x-owners-group] Polars for J/42, suitable for import into qtVlm [4 Attachments]

    • gmail account
      Message 3 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013

        Right!  But it happens on those overnight races where changing sails in windy conditions tends to get messy (we are not always pretty) so we have caught a chute or two on the boot.   Maybe a little care each year on wrapping the boots would do my sails well…

        Conrad

        From: gmail account <cdsail123@...>
        Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:11:34 -0500
        To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

      • frheel1949
        Message 4 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013
          New member here

          I am a big advocate for PTFE rigging tape. Not inexpensive, but well worth it. In two Pac Cups, (with more than a few "messy" moments) we have never torn a kite during a set, take down or gybe- we did blow one up after a collapse. Just clean the rig and apply the tape carefully wherever the rig may come in contact with either dacron or nylon.

          The qtVLm software looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.

          Jim

          J35c Brainwaves

          Message 5 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013

            Jim
            Can you tell us the brand of PTFE tape you buy and where to get it.
            Thanks
            Bill Stellin.  #6

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jun 20, 2013, at 12:48 PM, "frheel1949" <brainardjim@...> wrote:

            New member here

            I am a big advocate for PTFE rigging tape. Not inexpensive, but well worth it. In two Pac Cups, (with more than a few "messy" moments) we have never torn a kite during a set, take down or gybe- we did blow one up after a collapse. Just clean the rig and apply the tape carefully wherever the rig may come in contact with either dacron or nylon.

            The qtVLm software looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.

            Jim

            J35c Brainwaves

            --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "gmail account" <cdsail123@...> wrote:

            > Right! But it happens on those overnight races where changing sails in
            > windy conditions tends to get messy (we are not always pretty) so we have
            > caught a chute or two on the boot. Maybe a little care each year on
            > wrapping the boots would do my sails well.
            >

            > Conrad

          • Jim Brainard
            Message 6 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
              At the rigging shop at Svensen's in Alameda CA, it is called "million dollar tape" (and that is an apt discriptor).    It is transparent, perhaps 2-2.5" wide.

              I am not in CA and a web search did not turn up an identical product- there is a 3M product, but it is grey and I know my tape is transparent.  Dynaglide at APS appears very similar.  Maybe another group member can help.

              Jim   s/v Brainawaves

              --
              Best regards,  Jim

            • Robert Thuss
              Message 7 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013

                Atomic Tape (at boat shows) and Rescue Tape from Sailor’s Solutions are both great products

                http://sailorssolutions.com/?page=ProductDetails&Item=RT02

                For basic rigging (covering pins etc) I always use a lot of plain white electrical tape at $.99/roll:

                http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7858/Electrical-Tape/3-4-x-20-yards-White-Electrical-Tape

                I subscribe to this adage:

                If it moves, lube it.

                If it doesn’t move, tape it!

                Robert

                --

                Best regards,  Jim

                The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

                We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.