Re: [j4x-owners-group] Wheel Play

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2013
      I WILL if I have one, and Im quite sure I have seen a Whitlock steering manual in the bag of manuals I have aboard.

      From: William Stellin <wstellin@...>
      Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:05:19 -0400
      To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] Wheel Play

      It is interesting to hear you talk about a manual for your steering.  I have no manual but would sure like to get my hands on one.  Could you share yours on line or some other way.
      Thanks
      Bill Stellin   Jaywalker #6

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:53 AM, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

      Hi Bill,

      I do have the Whitlock rack and pinion pedestal on J42 #26.
      I'm not aboard and will look at the manual. How did you gain access to the area in question. Tony

      From: Bill Bowers <wfb01983@...>
      Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:59:59 -0400
      To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Wheel Play

      If you have the Whitlock rack and pinion pedestal it may be play developing in the pinion. I have J42 #3 and found I could eliminate all the slack in the steering by removing 3 of 4 of the pinion gear spacer gaskets under the bearing plate provided to correct for gear tooth wear. It is easy to do yourself. I also replace the pinion shaft ball bearing race and bearing water seals. They are both standard US sizes. I have spare seals if you need some. Our steering is smooth and has no play.

      Cheers
      Bill Bowers
      J42 ConverJence

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:23 AM, "tony@..." <tony@...> wrote:

      Bill, the brings a question to mind.

      For about one month this season I had to keep my boat in the marina that is  very shallow. Each tide cycle both the keel and rudder were stuck in mud. I knew the keel was in mud but had no idea the rudder was stuck until I pulled the boat for another reason and saw the Mudline about eight or 12 inches up From the bottom of the rudder

      Occasionally there would be some wave action and the boat would move But the keel and rudder would be stuck

      Then This week I started my passage from Maryland to Newport and for the first time I noticed a slight play in the wheel. It is not much may be a Quarter of an inch. Do you think the boat being pushed from side to side while the rudder was stuck could have somehow damaged the steering Mechanism or rudder Assembly ?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 12, 2013, at 7:53 PM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      You will lose all that makes a J a J. Not worth it in my eye to gain a slight ability to get into shallow water.  A friend just converted a Catalina to shoal draft.  Now that makes sense since they can't point to begin with.
      Bill STellin    #6

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 12, 2013, at 7:22 PM, "rogerlowe156" <rogerlowe156@...> wrote:

      I'm thinking about converting from a deep draft to a shoal draft and wonder if anyone has done it and who originally manufactured the keels?