Re: [j4x-owners-group] How big is your #1?

  • tony@shanomet.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2013
      For every day sailing, and cruising, I use a roller 130. I find that to be a very good all-around sail  for that purpose.  The first year I bought my boat Rodney  Johnstone was in the next marina with his 42. He suggested the 130 so I went with that.  For racing I have 154 CF light Air, 150 heavy air, a two and three.
      Tony
      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 18, 2013, at 12:01 AM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      I have a Doyle mylar, kevlar, carbon sail that is 155 and it is used all the time for the Wed. night beer can races which are usually in light evening wind.  Sometimes it is a bit much upwind but I make up for it on the downwind and reaching legs.  I would not do well without it.
      Bill      Jaywalker
      PS  It points fine although sometimes it backwinds the main at the mains top.

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 17, 2013, at 9:05 PM, "Tom Keffer" <tkeffer@...> wrote:

      The recent discussion started by Ed got me wondering what people use for a #1 genoa.

      I have a 155%, which I've always thought was way too big. While it certainly has enough area, it doesn't point worth a damn. I'm in the market for a new one, and was thinking more like 140%.

      What do others use?