Watermaker location on a J42

  • rob.moore@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2009
      Where do people put them?
      I have one now where my starboard 50 gal water tank was installed by the first owner. I
      would like to put the water tank back and relocate the Watermaker.
    • tkeffer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2009
        Here's one solution, from the J/42 "Crisis Mode," now in South Africa:

        http://web.me.com/crisismode/Site/The_States/Entries/2007/12/3_False_Report.html

        He mounted it in the lazarette, under the liferaft locker.

        -tk

        --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "rob.moore@..."
        <rob.moore@...> wrote:

        > Where do people put them?
        > I have one now where my starboard 50 gal water tank was installed by
        the first owner. I
        > would like to put the water tank back and relocate the Watermaker.

      • dc1reg
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2009
          I installed a Spectra watermaker below the v berths in the bow- aft of
          the holding tank. I purchased the system without the mounting broad so
          that I could place the components where they would fit. It was quite a
          time consuming installation trying to figure how to place the
          components. But it ran perfectly during one winter in the Carribean,
          operating it almost daily.
          One thing I would change is the though hull. I used the forward head
          though hull and changed the plumping so the forward head used the same
          intake as the aft head. It works fine unless you are making water while
          underway and the bow hits a wave. The watermaker will then suck in air
          and have to be purged. Before I return south I'd do a new though hull
          further aft.
          Dick Greene
          Maine Sail
          J42 #48

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2009
            I don't have one, but I have heard of at least one being installed in the aft head, in wet locker area.
            Bill Stellin     Hull #6  Jaywalker

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            From: dc1reg@...
            Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:31:38 +0000
            Subject: [j4x-owners-group] Re: Watermaker location on a J42

            <rob.moore@. ..> wrote:

            > Where do people put them?
            > I have one now where my starboard 50 gal water tank was installed by
            the first owner. I
            > would like to put the water tank back and relocate the Watermaker.

          • William Connor
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 22, 2009
              I took this approach myself with a Village Marine unit. See attached
              photo. Worked well, except that the intake would vent in rough seas,
              so I added a air water separator to keep it happy. Details on request.

              --
              Bill Connor, Principal
              Blue Hole Software
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 23, 2009
                What size is your Spectra. My is 6 GAL hour