Re: [j4x-owners-group] Thinking of Buying J-42

  • Frank Flannery
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2013
      I would have to second Rod's recommendations. our boat is a 40, but
      they have almost the same hull and rig, so I imagine they are similar
      enough to compare.

      We have the 100% jib up about 95% of the time. It's great upwind down
      to about 9 kts and deeper downwind in 11. We generally are sailing in
      some seas, which means you need a little more wind than you would in
      the calmer waters we've experienced in the PNW or New England summer.

      However, the boat is absolutely amazing to sail with our 140% jib in
      lighter winds. When we were in Maine for a summer, we used the 140%
      the whole time. Occasionally, we were in up to 20 kts, but never
      upwind. Usually it was closer to 8kts, which meant typically 6+ kts
      of boatspeed.

      I've contemplated the idea of a second forestay immediately inside the
      first stay in order to have two jibs available. This would be a
      solent rig, not a cutter. I'm not sure what the engineering would
      involve, but the anchor chain area is already tight and there would be
      a host of other problems I'm sure. I can always dream....

      Frank