Re: [j4x-owners-group] Thinking of Buying J-42

  • Ed Cale
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2013
      Hi TK,

      Thanks for the fast response and insights.  I will certainly keep those issues in mind.  While I now live in Sonoma County, Northern California, I plan to keep the boat in New England, as the cruising is far better than on the west coast (IMHO).  As such, I won't need A/C, a watermaker, or much else to keep me happy.

      I do have one specific question about sails.  As I said, I will be cruising, not racing this boat, and will probably buy a new roller-furling genoa, which will be my everyday headsail.  Given that the winds are usually pretty good in New England (north of CT), I'm assuming that a, say, 120% or 130% sail would be about appropriate.  Do you disagree?  (BTW, both my wife and I are in our mid-60s and in pretty good shape.  However, we have no interest in fighting a huge, overlapping headsail.)

      Thanks again for your valuable insights.

      Ed

        Message 3 of 6 , May 13, 2013

          A few additional comments on the sails.

          For jibs we have a North Marathon 3DL 150% #1 and North 102% Nordac  #3 with vertical battens. Sailing and cruising year around in Puget Sound and Canada, we encounter highly variable winds from 0-40+  knts. The 42’s do remarkably well  for a heavier boat with just the #3 in winds as low as 6-7 knts true depending on wave conditions, but below that really need a larger jib to accelerate and drive the boat to speed upwind. In anything over 10-12 knts true, the boat takes off with the #3, and its really nice being able to trim the jib flat if the winds get above 20 knts true, rather than roller-furling a larger sail. As noted, there is also a definite advantage in easier tacking with the #3 – the overlapping jib can be troublesome for smaller sail trimmers (or larger ones for that matter J).

          Downwind, the boat does reasonably well with the big main and winging the #3 jib in winds as low as 10-12 knts true. The larger jib  would be more effective if you don’t use a flying sail. But for any extended distance downwind in less than 14-16 knts true, we’ll usually try to fly either a symmetric or asymmetric spin since this makes a tremendous difference in boat performance. The J/42 is quite stable with its keel weight and large rudder, and if you use a sock and blanket the spin behind the main during the douse,  you can easily fly a spin in 18-25+ knts double-handed. This will get you rolling along…

          Rod Deyo

          J/42 Northern Lights

          Seattle, WA

          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2013
            I would have to second Rod's recommendations. our boat is a 40, but
            they have almost the same hull and rig, so I imagine they are similar
            enough to compare.

            We have the 100% jib up about 95% of the time. It's great upwind down
            to about 9 kts and deeper downwind in 11. We generally are sailing in
            some seas, which means you need a little more wind than you would in
            the calmer waters we've experienced in the PNW or New England summer.

            However, the boat is absolutely amazing to sail with our 140% jib in
            lighter winds. When we were in Maine for a summer, we used the 140%
            the whole time. Occasionally, we were in up to 20 kts, but never
            upwind. Usually it was closer to 8kts, which meant typically 6+ kts
            of boatspeed.

            I've contemplated the idea of a second forestay immediately inside the
            first stay in order to have two jibs available. This would be a
            solent rig, not a cutter. I'm not sure what the engineering would
            involve, but the anchor chain area is already tight and there would be
            a host of other problems I'm sure. I can always dream....

            Frank