Re: [j4x-owners-group] Polars for J/42, suitable for import into qtVlm

  • Paul Rogers
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 331 KB
    I have attached polars in excel format I just down loaded from the internet.

    Paul Rogers
    Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2013
      Thanks, Paul.

      It's a bit closer and, with some data massaging and interpolation, could probably be made to work.

      I'm looking for something even simpler. A table like so:

           TWS→  0 kn 5 kn 10 kn 15 kn . . .
      TWA↓
      0
      10
      20
      30
      .
      .
      .

      -tk

      On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Paul Rogers <pkr@...> wrote:
      I have attached polars in excel format I just down loaded from the internet.

      Paul Rogers

      On May 3, 2013, at 8:40 PM, "Tom Keffer" <tkeffer@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have any polars for the J/42, suitable for import into qtVlm?

      I am aware of the polars for Expedition that Bernie kindly supplied, but I'm looking for a simple table of boat speed that is entered by wind speed and TWA.

      qtVlm  is a promising open source routing software. While not nearly as powerful as Expedition, it does the basics and you sure can't beat the price!

      Tom Keffer
      keffer@...
    • tony@shanomet.com
      Message 3 of 13 , May 4, 2013
        Tom

        I made a table from the polar chart Bernie provided. It is simple showing Wind velocity, wind angle, target speed.

         I'm on a trip won't be home for a week. Ill send it to you then if you think it will help.

        Tony

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 4 of 13 , May 4, 2013
        Hi Tom:

        How about this one?    A naval architect and designer friend of mine made this one up for me from his VPP.

        cheers,

        Sr. Technical Marketing Mgr - ALM Solutions
        IBM Software Group, Rational
        coyneb@...
        720-396-6297

        Innovate 2013

        Message 5 of 13 , May 4, 2013
          Yes, I think that one will work! That's quite an interesting chart with a lot of information. Thanks, Bernie

          I'll report back with what I find with qtVlm.

          -tk

          [Attachment(s) from Bernard Coyne included below]

          Message 6 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013

          Attached are variations of polars from a number of J42 owners.

          Separately, do you or any other J42 owners use spreader boots?  I have but have caught and ripped two spinnakers on them so I am going to take them off.

          CD

          Message 7 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013
            I do have spreader boots, no problem w spinnakers, though I try not to have the spinnaker touch the spreader tips. Mine are soft leather stitched around the tips, it is attractive and I think protects the headsails.
            Thanks for the polars.
            Tony

            From: gmail account <cdsail123@...>
            Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:11:34 -0500
            To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: RE: [j4x-owners-group] Polars for J/42, suitable for import into qtVlm [4 Attachments]

          • gmail account
            Message 8 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013

              Right!  But it happens on those overnight races where changing sails in windy conditions tends to get messy (we are not always pretty) so we have caught a chute or two on the boot.   Maybe a little care each year on wrapping the boots would do my sails well…

              Conrad

              From: gmail account <cdsail123@...>
              Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:11:34 -0500
              To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

            • frheel1949
              Message 9 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013
                New member here

                I am a big advocate for PTFE rigging tape. Not inexpensive, but well worth it. In two Pac Cups, (with more than a few "messy" moments) we have never torn a kite during a set, take down or gybe- we did blow one up after a collapse. Just clean the rig and apply the tape carefully wherever the rig may come in contact with either dacron or nylon.

                The qtVLm software looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.

                Jim

                J35c Brainwaves

                Message 10 of 13 , Jun 20, 2013

                  Jim
                  Can you tell us the brand of PTFE tape you buy and where to get it.
                  Thanks
                  Bill Stellin.  #6

                  Sent from my iPad

                  On Jun 20, 2013, at 12:48 PM, "frheel1949" <brainardjim@...> wrote:

                  New member here

                  I am a big advocate for PTFE rigging tape. Not inexpensive, but well worth it. In two Pac Cups, (with more than a few "messy" moments) we have never torn a kite during a set, take down or gybe- we did blow one up after a collapse. Just clean the rig and apply the tape carefully wherever the rig may come in contact with either dacron or nylon.

                  The qtVLm software looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.

                  Jim

                  J35c Brainwaves

                  --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "gmail account" <cdsail123@...> wrote:

                  > Right! But it happens on those overnight races where changing sails in
                  > windy conditions tends to get messy (we are not always pretty) so we have
                  > caught a chute or two on the boot. Maybe a little care each year on
                  > wrapping the boots would do my sails well.
                  >

                  > Conrad

                • Jim Brainard
                  Message 11 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
                    At the rigging shop at Svensen's in Alameda CA, it is called "million dollar tape" (and that is an apt discriptor).    It is transparent, perhaps 2-2.5" wide.

                    I am not in CA and a web search did not turn up an identical product- there is a 3M product, but it is grey and I know my tape is transparent.  Dynaglide at APS appears very similar.  Maybe another group member can help.

                    Jim   s/v Brainawaves

                    --
                    Best regards,  Jim

                  • Robert Thuss
                    Message 12 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013

                      Atomic Tape (at boat shows) and Rescue Tape from Sailor’s Solutions are both great products

                      http://sailorssolutions.com/?page=ProductDetails&Item=RT02

                      For basic rigging (covering pins etc) I always use a lot of plain white electrical tape at $.99/roll:

                      http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7858/Electrical-Tape/3-4-x-20-yards-White-Electrical-Tape

                      I subscribe to this adage:

                      If it moves, lube it.

                      If it doesn’t move, tape it!

                      Robert

                      --

                      Best regards,  Jim

                      The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

                      We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.