New control panel for VELOCITY

  • Tom Keffer
    Message 1 of 25 , May 2, 2013
      I built and installed a new control panel for Velocity.

      Write up here .

      Message 2 of 25 , May 2, 2013
        Nice work, as always. I notice you have a Xanteax inverter/charger. Would you share where you mounted it?
        Tony Affinity #26

        From: Tom Keffer <tkeffer@...>
        Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:33:37 -0000
        To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [j4x-owners-group] New control panel for VELOCITY

        Message 3 of 25 , May 2, 2013
          Sure. It's mounted in the aft stateroom locker, on the bulkhead shared with the main cabin. It's a bit in the way, but the shortened clothes rod is still long enough to hang a few garments. The space below is unimpeded.

          -tk

          From: Tom Keffer <tkeffer@...>
          Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:33:37 -0000
          To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

          I built and installed a new control panel for Velocity.

          Write up here .

          Tom Keffer
          keffer@...
          Message 4 of 25 , May 2, 2013
            Looking for some insight;

            Over the past 4 seasons I've had to purchase new batteries three times. Each time I get Deka 700 MCA 505 CCA 88  amp hours at 20 hours Gel.
            It seems they run out too quickly on passages, sometimes nice wind, sailing 4 or so hours and the 'low voltage' signal comes on the B&G. One passage in 2010 I only got 45 min of sailing in before the signal, and the batteries were a year old. I realize I should be conservative with the  'toys' that is a Furono Auto helm, a RayMarine (upgraded for a Northstar last year) at the helm and Nav Table and the B&G, plus radio.
            I saw some conversation within our group awhle back about installing an amp meter. Good idea? Since I'm not strong on the subject, I have asked the Yard to check the output of the Alternator when the engine is running at about 1,500 RPM and to compare that to shore power charging to see of both are 'within specs' but I have no idea what in spec is?
            This is what I have:
            Balmar alternator 14volts 100 Amps
            Balmr MC 512 regulator programmed  to Gel
            Xantrex 10 (1000 watt 50 amp inverter charger  programmed to gel)
            The batteirs are set so two are house one starter.
            Any thoughts on what I should do to test my system,  the value of an Amp meter, what I/the yard should look for.
            Tony/Affinity 26

              Message 6 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                I mounted mine on the same bulkhead but just outside the locker behind the cabin door.  It leaves the hanging locker space free, gives it good ventilation, and is easy to service if need be.

                From: Tom Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:33:37 -0000
                To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                  Hi, Tony

                  An ammeter / accurate voltmeter is essential for diagnosing these kinds of problems.

                  The problem is likely one of three things:
                  1. A bad battery. Unlikely as you have replaced them so many times.
                  2. Charging system not working properly. Seeing as how you have both a shore charger and an alternator, it's hard to see how both would go bad, but I suppose it's possible.
                  3. Equipment drawing more amps than you think. Logic would lead you to this conclusion. I have a pretty similar setup except for a B&G autopilot, and it draws 3.5 amps when the pilot is idling to about 7 when it's active. It's not clear from your letter whether you have one or two 88 Ah batteries, but either way, you should be good for 10+ hours.
                  In any case, it will be impossible to tell the difference between #2 and #3 without that ammeter!

                  If you don't want to do a full install of an ammeter, you could get a clip-on style. Sears offers some pretty inexpensive ones, like this.

                  -tk

                  --
                  Tom Keffer
                  keffer@...

                      From: Tom Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                      Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:33:37 -0000
                      To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                        Thank you Tom,
                        As a bit more info; I've been having the problem since the time I rarely get a shore charge. The last 6 weeks in the islands I was anchoring a lot, then in Newport where I live, I'm on a ball. So mostly I use the alternator to charge. The batteires are in a series, the Charger/inverter is a "10" it takes up a lot of the closet. I'll have to see if it could be mounted behind the door. Thanks

                        Tony

                        Message 12 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                          I think every cruising boat needs an amp meter. I have a Link 2000 (which hasn't been sold for a number of years) and its a great help. But all you really need is a single amp meter on the house bank. Its a constant reminder of how much power you're consuming and you'll pretty soon learn the electrical load of each component.
                          I often look over at the Link, see the negative amps, and realize I've left something on. Plus, it shows if the alternator output is where it should be.
                          Dick Greene
                          Maine Sail

                          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                          CC: wstellin@...

                          From: Tom Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                          Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 16:33:37 -0000
                          To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 13 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                            If you're on the hook a lot, then it's entirely possible your alternator isn't fully charging the battery. It could be a wrong setting, corrosion in the field line or, most likely, that it's just not getting enough run time!

                            -tk

                            [Attachment(s) from Anthony M Iacono included below]

                            Message 14 of 25 , May 2, 2013

                              I’m no expert, but it sounds like the batteries are getting sulfated due to insufficient charging. The alternator will never get them to a full charge, so if you never get a  shore power charge then they will sulfate and die early. Nigel Calder has a pretty good article (this month either in SAIL or CRUSING WORLD) about crash-testing batteries. Finally, I have found no batteries perform like Lifeline AGM batteries; they are worth the money. Hope this helps – Robert

                              From: Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                              Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 10:34:36 -0700
                              To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                              The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

                              We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

                            • tony@shanomet.com
                              Message 15 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                                Thanks Tom. Could be short runtime but I assume a hour 2 Times a day should be enough. It was when I first got the boat.  On the other hand I do have a lot more things on the boat that power now.

                                You mentioned setting, I wonder if there is an amount of output from the alternator which is "within range". Does anyone have any ideas on where I may be able to find out that information?

                                I recognize I am quite sophomoric when it comes to electrical issues. Its a result of never fully paying attention when my father tried desperately to teach me. Now I wish that I had.

                                Tony
                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 16 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                                  It does. Thank you Robert. Tonu

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 17 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                                    My inverter is an inverter only.  It is about 12w by 15 long by 4 high.  It is 2000 watt cont. power.
                                    The charger is in the aft deck locker mounted on the bulkhead for the aft cabin.  The inverter fits perfectly and unless the door is closed you never see it.
                                    I installed a third house battery in the aft stateroom hanging locker and it sits lower than the opening.  I also built a removable floor in the locker to conceal it and allow for items to be stowed there.
                                    It's a great spot for an extra battery because the cable runs are so short.

                                    Sent from my iPad

                                    Message 18 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                                      If you have the stock alternator it has a built in regulator which is really meant for auto/industrial long continuous. use.
                                      In other words, it is not "smart".  Consider a high amp alternator and a separate regulator which will fill the batteries very quickly.
                                      A Link battery meter and a new alternator plus new regulator should end your woes.  That's all we have and we spent 8 years cruising with no problems.  Jaywalker was built in 1996 and we are only on our second set of batteries.  This set is 10 years old.
                                      I keep them on a solar panel all winter.

                                      Sent from my iPad

                                      Message 19 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                                        That clears up the mystery Bill. Thank you. I originally had my charger in that location but was concerned with the water that often times gets in the aft storage area. I know, from reading your posting in years past, you successfully stopped that water egress.

                                        Great idea for a 3rd house battery.

                                        Just FYI While we are on the subject of batteries. I placed a small motorcycle battery under the NAv table in the opening that would be in front of your knees if you were sitting down at the table.  That battery runs the masthead LED tricolor while at sea. It's  a dedicated battery, charges with the other batteries and does not draw down the house bank.

                                        Tony
                                        Sent from my iPhone

                                          Message 21 of 25 , May 2, 2013
                                            You won't get the batteries fully charged running the engine ( unless you run it a very long time or have lithium batteries).
                                            The alternator (MC-512 really) will very the current to the batteries while it charges.   Also as the batteries "fill up"
                                            less current is sent to them.  An ampmeter which computes amp hours left
                                            will give you a better idea how the alternator is doing.  We have a link-2000 for the house banks and a link 10 for the engine.
                                            They both compute amp hours, though not perfectly.

                                            In recent years I give the batteries a vacation once a month.  We tie up to a dock and use shore power to get them
                                            completely charged.   The alternative is running the engine or genset a very long time.  Not too pleasant.

                                            I am putting 200 watts of solar on the bimini this spring.  We will see how many fewer hours we run the genset.

                                            cheers,
                                            John

                                            Message 23 of 25 , May 12, 2013
                                              With a link device you can see the battery state and amp usage no matter what is running or off.
                                              That is the beauty of the monitor.  If you see amps going out and you think everything is turned off, something is not.  It also monitors amps going in from chargers wind machines and solar panels.  I feel it is one of the most  necessary instruments on the boat.
                                              Bill Stellin  #6

                                              Sent from my iPad

                                                Message 25 of 25 , May 12, 2013
                                                  To clarify, the link 2000 (or 1000 etc) comes with a shunt that you
                                                  install on the battery ground cable just before the battery. Some
                                                  additional wires come off this shunt and run to the monitor. It may
                                                  be advisable to buy the special wire bundle with the monitor if you
                                                  have a long run, as if you have two banks, it is something like 8
                                                  wires and they must be twisted together. For one bank, I think it is
                                                  still 6 wires. Somehow the shunt magically measures the amp usage. I
                                                  guess it probably isn't magic, but it works well.

                                                  Frank