What's in your sailing library?

  • tributesails
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2013
      I'm curious what books are in your sailing libraries. In particular you intrepid folks who have spent time doing extended offshore cruising. What reference books do you think are most valuable?

      J/42 wannabe owner.
    • longdon.steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2013
        Good question Barry. I too would like to know.

        Steve Longdon
        469-400-0353
        10449 Chantry Lane
        Frisco, TX 75035

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2013
          Scanning my library:
          • The Yanmar 3JH2 Owner's manual
          • The Yanmar 3JH2 Service Manual (you can dowload here)
          • The Yanmar 3JH2 Parts catalog
          • Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder
          • A Comprehensive Guide To Marine Medicine by Eric A Weiss and Michael Jacobs
          • The Samson Splicing Manual (downloadable section-by-section here).
          • The latest Fisheries catalog (so massive, it doubles as a cutting surface when doing splices!)
          • Racing Rules of Sailing
          • US Chart No. 1 (downloadable here)
          • USCG Navigation Rules for International and Inland Waters (downloadable here)
          and other odds and ends, mostly having to do with local cruising guides.

          When we were doing long distance passage making, add:
          • The instruction manuals for everything on board.
          • World Cruising Routes by Jimmy Cornell
          • Cruising guides to our destinations.
          • Language dictionaries and phrase books
          • WEST System guides (if you're not handy with bonding, etc.)
          I have not found Toss's The Rigger's Apprentice or Marino's The Sailmaker's Apprentice particularly useful, but if you're a new to rigging or sail repair, they'd probably be nice to have.

          But, mostly, I'm of the philosophy that if it is not on board, I don't need spares for it, don't need a manual for it, and don't even need to know how to fix it! :-)

          -tk

          --
          Tom Keffer
          keffer@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2013

              Here’s my boat papers list from two Bermuda Races and cruising the East Coast - Robert

              Bermuda Race NOR - SI's - other forms

              IRC-ORR-PHRF Certificates

              Compass deviation chart

              EPIRB registration

              First Aid kit contents

              Flashlight specs

              ISAF crew status

              Life raft certificate & specs

              On-Board Training Certificate

              Radar reflector data

              SAS and First Aid / CPR certificates

              Builder letters re ABS standards & Cockpit Volume

              Certificate of Documentation & Preferred Ship Mortgage

              FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit

              FCC Station License

              Offshore Racing Rule booklet

              State Registration & Insurance cards

              Sail inventory - management - measurements & specs

              Targets & Polars

              USCGA Vessel Safety Check form

              USCG Safety Gear chart

              Customs reporting requirements

              Gear list with locations - master

              ISAF Offshore Special Regulations

              Racing Rules of Sailing

              USCG Light List vol I ME to NJ

              USCG Navigation Rules Int'l and Inland

              Advanced First Aid Afloat (Eastman, MD)

              Chapman Quick Reference First Aid

              Comprehensive Guide to Marine Medicine (Weiss, MD and Jacobs, MD)

              Ditch Medicine - Advanced Field Procedures (Coffee)

              US Sailing’s Sailing & Yachting First Aid (Bergan MD and Guzzetta MD)

              Your Offshore Doctor (Beilan, MD)

              Eldridge Tide & Pilot

              Frommer's Bermuda

              Imray E5 Bermuda chart 1:60,000

              Maptech Chartkit Region 3 NY-Nantucket 14th Ed.

              Nautical Chart No. 1 - Symbols, Abbrevs & Terms

              Ocean Plotting Sheet #5161 color 1:1,058,400

              Watch/Weather/Waypoint/Defect log books

              Watch-keeper's Navigation Handbook

              Watch-keeper's SSB Handbook

              Waterway Guide Northern: NJ to ME

              Nav Library - Beowulf Press

              IRC Yearbook with US-IRC Handbook (in binder)

              All ship's owner's manuals in folders under nav desk

              Boating Emergency Manual (Meisel)

              Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual (Calder)

              Code flag laminated guide

              YC yearbook

              Nautical Almanac

              Quick reference Piloting, Nav Rules, Racing Rules cards

              Chapman Piloting (Maloney)

              Sailboat Illustrated Maintenance Manual (Casey)

[...]

              The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

              We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.