RE: [j4x-owners-group] 42 v 44 v 46

  • Richard Greene
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013
      We cruise the Chesapeake every few years and was about to comment on how nice it is to have the shoal draft in that area. If I were choosing a boat to use primarily in that area there would be no question I'd want the shoal draft. As it is, cruising between Maine and the Chesapeake (mostly Maine) we are quite happy with the shoal draft. But then we don't know what performance we're giving up.
      Dick Greene
      J42 Maine Sail (shoal/carbon stick)

      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: bdwyer@...
      Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:24:52 -0500
      Subject: RE: [j4x-owners-group] 42 v 44 v 46

      You guys are making me re-think my strategy on keels. We are in the market for a new boat (with the J/42 near the top of the list) and I was focused on shoal draft models.  As Chesapeake sailors, our current 5.5’ draft allow us to get into many gunkholes with only minimal nail-biting. 6’5” seems like it would limit us. There is a very well maintained 42 with a shoal keel and carbon stick that seems like a perfect solution but perhaps I should broaden my search as we do intend to head south (beyond the Bahamas) at some point.

      Barry

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013

        Dick,

        Thanks for your opinion. Appreciate the insight.

        Barry

        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
        From: bdwyer@...
        Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:24:52 -0500

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013
          Re shoal draft vs deep keel
          I have no scientific evidence, however I was disappointed with the pointing ability of our deep draft J/42 with the original main.  It wasn't until we had a new performance main built by Doyle that I saw what a difference a well designed and built main could do for pointing.
          My point is, I wouldn't be surprised if a shoal draft J/42 with a really good main couldn't outpoint a deep draft J/42 with an old Dacron main.  If you don't race, pointing an extra 5-10 degrees higher probably would not matter that much.  I would go for a shoal draft if I had the boat in Florida and cruised the Bahamas.
          We cruised the full length of the Caribbean and also the Chesapeake with no problems. However as we headed north from the BVI's to the Chesapeake, both Judy and I would have rather had hot bamboo strips pounded under our fingernails than try to navigate the Bahamas.  Instead we rhumb lined it from Tortola to the Elizabeth River in NC.  From there to the Chesapeake it was inside in the Water Way which was a nightmare due to our deep draft and very thin water in lots of spots.
          Bill Stellin   hull #6

          Sent from my iPad

          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
          From: bdwyer@...
          Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:24:52 -0500

          You guys are making me re-think my strategy on keels. We are in the market for a new boat (with the J/42 near the top of the list) and I was focused on shoal draft models.  As Chesapeake sailors, our current 5.5’ draft allow us to get into many gunkholes with only minimal nail-biting. 6’5” seems like it would limit us. There is a very well maintained 42 with a shoal keel and carbon stick that seems like a perfect solution but perhaps I should broaden my search as we do intend to head south (beyond the Bahamas) at some point.

          Barry

          I would recommend the deep draft every time unless you think you will
          be cruising exclusively in the Bahamas. An 8 ft draft will go almost
          everywhere in the E Caribbean. A 6.5 draft is fine in the Bahamas,
          but 5 can get you into some fun places. So only if you want to really
          explore the Bahamas, go deep.

          BTW, any J/40 owners with deep drafts want to swap with me for a shoal keel?

          Frank

          On 4/9/13, Wayne Cassady <wcassady@...> wrote:
          > Our goal was to find a good balance of sailing performance, comfort and
          > manners in a boat that we would take offshore some, and coastal cruise.
          > We also wanted to accomplish this in the smallest possible boat. The J40
          > was our decision, the J42 would have been even better. For personal
          > preferences I think the J44 and 46 are better looking boats but every
          > time I carry one of the headsails for the J40, much less the mainsail, I
          > ask my wife to remind me that this is the biggest boat we will ever own.
          > With cruising you will do a lot of motoring, but when you are sailing,
          > the J Boat is the only way to go. Motors nicely too now that I think
          > about it.
          >
          > On 4/6/2013 9:28 AM, longdon.steve wrote:
          >>
          >> All,
          >>
          >> New to the group. Situation is this.
          >>
          >> Power boater (49' Krogen), professional pilot, novice sailer. Looking
          >> for the ideal, I know, liveaboard. Plan to pull the plug and cruise
          >> after I retire. Spent the lats 5 years learning to sail, reading the
          >> dream sheets and walking the docks. Will need to be easily cruised as
          >> a couple, sleep two couples and on occasion be single handed (I'm
          >> single and will not always have a crew). I am aware that you single
          >> hand half the time when cruising as a couple, been there many times on
          >> my Krogen. All this being said I have come to the conclusion that I
          >> HAVE to have a JBoat.
          >>
          >> Figured I go straight to the owners for the last peice to the puzzle
          >> before writting the check.
          >>
          >> Is there any real beneift to the added expense of move up form a 42,
          >> the love boat of my life. to a 44 or 46?
          >>
          >> Steve Longdon

        • Barry Dwyer
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013

            Bill, I bet 6’6” in the ditch was no fun.

            Barry

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            From: bdwyer@...
            Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:24:52 -0500

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013
              We ran hard aground only once where we needed assistance to get off. We bumped several times and went aground  a few more times where I was able to get us off by ourselves.
              A good day of travel was about 50-70 miles.  It was nerve racking having to watch the chart plotter every second so as to not stray out of the deep part of the channel.  We would have stayed outside except we didn't want to have to go so far offshore to round Cape Hatteras.  I am glad we did the water way as it was interesting and worth the effort, however it would have been much easier in a power boat with no mast and bridge openings to deal with.

              Sent from my iPad

              To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
              From: bdwyer@...
              Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:24:52 -0500

              You guys are making me re-think my strategy on keels. We are in the market for a new boat (with the J/42 near the top of the list) and I was focused on shoal draft models.  As Chesapeake sailors, our current 5.5’ draft allow us to get into many gunkholes with only minimal nail-biting. 6’5” seems like it would limit us. There is a very well maintained 42 with a shoal keel and carbon stick that seems like a perfect solution but perhaps I should broaden my search as we do intend to head south (beyond the Bahamas) at some point.

              Barry

              I would recommend the deep draft every time unless you think you will
              be cruising exclusively in the Bahamas. An 8 ft draft will go almost
              everywhere in the E Caribbean. A 6.5 draft is fine in the Bahamas,
              but 5 can get you into some fun places. So only if you want to really
              explore the Bahamas, go deep.

              BTW, any J/40 owners with deep drafts want to swap with me for a shoal keel?

              Frank

              On 4/9/13, Wayne Cassady <wcassady@...> wrote:
              > Our goal was to find a good balance of sailing performance, comfort and
              > manners in a boat that we would take offshore some, and coastal cruise.
              > We also wanted to accomplish this in the smallest possible boat. The J40
              > was our decision, the J42 would have been even better. For personal
              > preferences I think the J44 and 46 are better looking boats but every
              > time I carry one of the headsails for the J40, much less the mainsail, I
              > ask my wife to remind me that this is the biggest boat we will ever own.
              > With cruising you will do a lot of motoring, but when you are sailing,
              > the J Boat is the only way to go. Motors nicely too now that I think
              > about it.
              >
              > On 4/6/2013 9:28 AM, longdon.steve wrote:
              >>
              >> All,
              >>
              >> New to the group. Situation is this.
              >>
              >> Power boater (49' Krogen), professional pilot, novice sailer. Looking
              >> for the ideal, I know, liveaboard. Plan to pull the plug and cruise
              >> after I retire. Spent the lats 5 years learning to sail, reading the
              >> dream sheets and walking the docks. Will need to be easily cruised as
              >> a couple, sleep two couples and on occasion be single handed (I'm
              >> single and will not always have a crew). I am aware that you single
              >> hand half the time when cruising as a couple, been there many times on
              >> my Krogen. All this being said I have come to the conclusion that I
              >> HAVE to have a JBoat.
              >>
              >> Figured I go straight to the owners for the last peice to the puzzle
              >> before writting the check.
              >>
              >> Is there any real beneift to the added expense of move up form a 42,
              >> the love boat of my life. to a 44 or 46?
              >>
              >> Steve Longdon

            • Paul Rogers
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013
                I feel I have to add my comments to this list.  I have a J-42 "Canty" which is the shoal draft version.  I have been very pleased with both the performance and the ability to get into many harbors and fuel docks which that would not be available to us otherwise.  We purchased the boat in Sanibel Island, FL.  Sailed it home to Maine including the inland Waterway from Beauford, NC to Norfolk.  We sailed transatlantic to Ireland in 2004 and have since sailed from arctic Norway to Mediterranean Spain including the Baltic and inland lakes of Finland.  In 2011 we sailed from Scotland to the North Cost of Spain.  That year we experienced a number of harbors with sills to keep the water in when the tide went out.  We not only could get into more harbors, but we had more flexibility as to our arrival and departure time.

                I can not speak highly enough about are sailing experience with the shoal draft J-42.  The difference in phrf ne rating between the deep and shoal draft models is only 6 seconds per mile.  Incidentally  with a cruising crew and sails we sailed (no motoring) from Camden to the Azores in under 11 days averaging 6.92 knots.

                Paul Rogers J-42 #38

                To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                From: bdwyer@...
                Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:24:52 -0500

                You guys are making me re-think my strategy on keels. We are in the market for a new boat (with the J/42 near the top of the list) and I was focused on shoal draft models.  As Chesapeake sailors, our current 5.5’ draft allow us to get into many gunkholes with only minimal nail-biting. 6’5” seems like it would limit us. There is a very well maintained 42 with a shoal keel and carbon stick that seems like a perfect solution but perhaps I should broaden my search as we do intend to head south (beyond the Bahamas) at some point.

                Barry

                I would recommend the deep draft every time unless you think you will
                be cruising exclusively in the Bahamas. An 8 ft draft will go almost
                everywhere in the E Caribbean. A 6.5 draft is fine in the Bahamas,
                but 5 can get you into some fun places. So only if you want to really
                explore the Bahamas, go deep.

                BTW, any J/40 owners with deep drafts want to swap with me for a shoal keel?

                Frank

                On 4/9/13, Wayne Cassady <wcassady@...> wrote:
                > Our goal was to find a good balance of sailing performance, comfort and
                > manners in a boat that we would take offshore some, and coastal cruise.
                > We also wanted to accomplish this in the smallest possible boat. The J40
                > was our decision, the J42 would have been even better. For personal
                > preferences I think the J44 and 46 are better looking boats but every
                > time I carry one of the headsails for the J40, much less the mainsail, I
                > ask my wife to remind me that this is the biggest boat we will ever own.
                > With cruising you will do a lot of motoring, but when you are sailing,
                > the J Boat is the only way to go. Motors nicely too now that I think
                > about it.
                >
                > On 4/6/2013 9:28 AM, longdon.steve wrote:
                >>
                >> All,
                >>
                >> New to the group. Situation is this.
                >>
                >> Power boater (49' Krogen), professional pilot, novice sailer. Looking
                >> for the ideal, I know, liveaboard. Plan to pull the plug and cruise
                >> after I retire. Spent the lats 5 years learning to sail, reading the
                >> dream sheets and walking the docks. Will need to be easily cruised as
                >> a couple, sleep two couples and on occasion be single handed (I'm
                >> single and will not always have a crew). I am aware that you single
                >> hand half the time when cruising as a couple, been there many times on
                >> my Krogen. All this being said I have come to the conclusion that I
                >> HAVE to have a JBoat.
                >>
                >> Figured I go straight to the owners for the last peice to the puzzle
                >> before writting the check.
                >>
                >> Is there any real beneift to the added expense of move up form a 42,
                >> the love boat of my life. to a 44 or 46?
                >>
                >> Steve Longdon

              • longdon.steve
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013
                  Bill,

                  Have downloaded and read your first two books. Nicely done.

                  Do you have a blog that goes through what you did to you 42' to get her ready for cruising. I read a list in chapter one. However, do you have anything more specific.

                  Have you had any issues with storage? Weight? How much chain do you usually carry? Anchors? I've looked a little and am concerned that trim will be an issue with the ground tackle I expect to carry on a cruiser.

                  Thanks again, you and the group as a whole havebeen most informative.

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013
                    Steve
                    At the end of book I you find an appendix which lists all the modifications and additions.
                    We never carried a whole lot of chain.  One Delta 35# with about 125 feet of 5/16th High Strength chain attached to 150 feet of 5/8 inch nylon rode.  We also had a big Danforth which we kept in the anchor locker with about 40 feet of chain on it.
                    Storage was not a problem as we travel light and there was only the two of us.
                    We always were mindful of keeping the ends of the boat light.  In the stern we only had the life raft in a valise in the locker.  Everything else was light weight items.  No bladder full of fuel back there or a generator.  No water maker.  It is unnecessary in the Med and for the crossing for only two people.  There is plenty of water in the Carib albeit very expensive.
                    If you go to   .........
                    http://blog.mailasail.com/jaywalker     .............  you will the last few months of our cruise including the crossing and time
                    in the Carib, Chesapeake and home.
                    The books are really just journal entries which would have made up a blog had we organized one from the beginning.
                    Hope this helps

                    On Apr 10, 2013, at 1:30 PM, "longdon.steve" <longdon.steve@...> wrote:

                    Bill,

                    Have downloaded and read your first two books. Nicely done.

                    Do you have a blog that goes through what you did to you 42' to get her ready for cruising. I read a list in chapter one. However, do you have anything more specific.

                    Have you had any issues with storage? Weight? How much chain do you usually carry? Anchors? I've looked a little and am concerned that trim will be an issue with the ground tackle I expect to carry on a cruiser.

                    Thanks again, you and the group as a whole havebeen most informative.

                    Steve

                    --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

                    > Steve
                    > We hope to welcome you to the world of J/Boats. I think most of us who have a 42 would love to have the 46, I know I would. However I am more than satisfied with Jaywalker hull #6 J/42.
                    > To give you an idea of what kind of a long term cruiser the 42 is, I invite you to download free to iPads the three books I have written which chronicles our 8 years of living on Jaywalker in the Med bookended by crossing the Atlantic each way. Go to www.blurb.com/user/wstellin. There you will find the books which can be purchased as hard cover (which I don't recommend as they are too expensive) or download free on iPads. At end of Book I, you will find an appendix which details all the modifications I made to Jaywalker for our Atlantic and Med sojourn.
                    > Happy Sailing, hopefully on a J-Boat.
                    > Bill and Judy Stellin
                    > RGGE-06EMCKS
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPad
                    >
                    > On Apr 6, 2013, at 9:38 AM, "longdon.steve" <longdon.steve@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > All,
                    > >
                    > > New to the group. Situation is this.
                    > >
                    > > Power boater (49' Krogen), professional pilot, novice sailer. Looking for the ideal, I know, liveaboard. Plan to pull the plug and cruise after I retire. Spent the lats 5 years learning to sail, reading the dream sheets and walking the docks. Will need to be easily cruised as a couple, sleep two couples and on occasion be single handed (I'm single and will not always have a crew). I am aware that you single hand half the time when cruising as a couple, been there many times on my Krogen. All this being said I have come to the conclusion that I HAVE to have a JBoat.
                    > >
                    > > Figured I go straight to the owners for the last peice to the puzzle before writting the check.
                    > >
                    > > Is there any real beneift to the added expense of move up form a 42, the love boat of my life. to a 44 or 46?
                    > >
                    > > Steve Longdon

                  • Frank Flannery
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 10, 2013
                      A shoal draft will suffer on point much more in seas than the flat
                      water most people are used to. In Maine and the chesapeake, our
                      tacking angle was typically about 90 degrees on the GPS. Once we get
                      out in rough seas, it is more like 105. Also, running and deep
                      reaching a shoal draft will roll more than a deep keel in seas. It
                      may be easier to drive a shoal draft running, but J/40s and 42s are
                      pretty easy to drive either way. The 40 shoal is 5'. If the 42 is
                      5.5 with a better keel design, the loss of performance may not be as
                      noticeable. Shoal draft keels will be much harder to get off the
                      bottom in case of grounding, depending on keel shape. This is
                      definitely true of the 40.

                      I still encourage you to look at all the charts and find the spots
                      where one foot of draft will make all the difference. We haven't seen
                      all that many, except the Bahamas.

                      As for the ditch, do yourself a favor and go outside! Georgia is
                      really nice, however....

                      Either one will be a nice boat. I still wish I had a 44, though.

                      Frank

                    • Barry Dwyer
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 11, 2013

                        Frank, why would you rather have the 44? And would you still do the deep (8’1”) keel?

                        Barry

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 11, 2013
                          We have always preferred the deep draft but for Chesapeake and a good deal of the Bahamas shoal draft will get you into a lot of places.

                          On 4/10/2013 7:24 AM, Barry Dwyer wrote:

                          You guys are making me re-think my strategy on keels. We are in the market for a new boat (with the J/42 near the top of the list) and I was focused on shoal draft models.  As Chesapeake sailors, our current 5.5’ draft allow us to get into many gunkholes with only minimal nail-biting. 6’5” seems like it would limit us. There is a very well maintained 42 with a shoal keel and carbon stick that seems like a perfect solution but perhaps I should broaden my search as we do intend to head south (beyond the Bahamas) at some point.

                          Barry

                          I would recommend the deep draft every time unless you think you will
                          be cruising exclusively in the Bahamas. An 8 ft draft will go almost
                          everywhere in the E Caribbean. A 6.5 draft is fine in the Bahamas,
                          but 5 can get you into some fun places. So only if you want to really
                          explore the Bahamas, go deep.

                          BTW, any J/40 owners with deep drafts want to swap with me for a shoal keel?

                          Frank

                          On 4/9/13, Way! ne Cassady <wcassady@...> wrote:
                          > Our goal was to find a good balance of sailing performance, comfort and
                          > manners in a boat that we would take offshore some, and coastal cruise.
                          > We also wanted to accomplish this in the smallest possible boat. The J40
                          > was our decision, the J42 would have been even better. For personal
                          > preferences I think the J44 and 46 are better looking boats but every
                          > time I carry one of the headsails for the J40, much less the mainsail, I
                          > ask my wife to remind me that this is the biggest boat we will ever own.
                          > With cruising you will do a lot of motoring, but when you are sailing,
                          > the J Boat is the only way to go. Motors nicely too now that I think
                          > about it.
                          >
                          > On 4/6/2013 9:28 AM, longdon.steve wrote:
                          >>
                          >> All,
                          >>
                          >> New to the group. Situation is this.
                          >>
                          >> Power boater (49' Krogen), professional pilot, novice! sailer. Looking
                          >> for the ideal, I know, liveaboard. Plan to pull the plug and cruise
                          >> after I retire. Spent the lats 5 years learning to sail, reading the
                          >> dream sheets and walking the docks. Will need to be easily cruised as
                          >> a couple, sleep two couples and on occasion be single handed (I'm
                          >> single and will not always have a crew). I am aware that you single
                          >> hand half the time when cruising as a couple, been there many times on
                          >> my Krogen. All this being said I have come to the conclusion that I
                          >> HAVE to have a JBoat.
                          >>
                          >> Figured I go straight to the owners for the last peice to the puzzle
                          >> before writting the check.
                          >>
                          >> Is there any real beneift to the added expense of move up form a 42,
                          >> the love boat of my life. to a 44 or 46?
                          >>
                          >> Steve Longdon

                        • Frank Flannery
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 13, 2013
                            The reason I would prefer the 44 to the 40/42 is for more living
                            space. Our 40 feels a little tight these days.