Adding Solar Panels & wind generator to J-42

  • hst_jreed
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 31, 2013
      After cruising the Virgin Islands this winter it has become apparent that I need something other that the engine to maintain the batteries. I used a Honda EU 2000i Generator on the stern connected through the shore power connector but am considering adding solar panels at a minimum.

      I am considering several years of cruising the Caribbean and beyond. What is the experience or thoughts out there?

      Joe Reed
      J-42 Hull #12
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 31, 2013
        We installed a high power (135 amp) alternator and a smart regulator. We also have a 55 watt solar panel.  No generator or wind power and never had a dead battery in all the years of cruising in Europe and the Caribbean.  We did lots of anchoring and used the engine about 2 hours each day to recharge and keep the cold plate cold.  Our house bank is about 250 amps and we have a starting battery as well.
        Bill Stellin   hull #6   Jaywalker

        Sent from my iPad

        On Mar 31, 2013, at 4:21 PM, "hst_jreed" <joseph.w.reed@...> wrote:

        After cruising the Virgin Islands this winter it has become apparent that I need something other that the engine to maintain the batteries. I used a Honda EU 2000i Generator on the stern connected through the shore power connector but am considering adding solar panels at a minimum.

        I am considering several years of cruising the Caribbean and beyond. What is the experience or thoughts out there?

        Joe Reed
        J-42 Hull #12

      • Jvanheek
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
          Installed silent wind generator this year on our j 46 in Caribbean . Still use engine appr 1 hour/day to keep batteries up. Suggest also adding solar to be fully independent. Hate my Noisy Honda so will sell it when back in USA in may.
          Jan van Heek
          J46 SweetBeam

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Joseph Reed
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
            If I plan on going around the world, I will be adding solar, wind, battery upgrade and monitor SOC at a minimum. This means adding a gantry to the stern to accommodate all this and plus support for a dinghy. I am also considering a wind vane as a back up for the auto pilot.

            If  you have any recommendation please provide your recommendations. I am planning all the upgrades this summer.

            Joe Reed
            Keep It Simple J-42 hull #12

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
                Joe, you probably know of Jim Wilson, currently on a circumnavigation with a crew consisting of his wife and two small boys. You may be interested to see his Boat modifications / prep. That and  more very cool stuff, including some details of his adventure, can be seen on

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013

                    I would have to agree.

                    Joe, think about why you bought a J/42 in the first place. Surely it was for the great sailing performance, especially in light air. All of that it's going to disappear as you laden the boat down, particularly with high windage items like an arch or solar panels

                    It's your boat, but for my own, I've made the conscious decision to accept a more Spartan on-board life in exchange for those moments when VELOCITY is hard on the breeze, doing 7+ knots to windward, sailing, when everyone else is motoring.

                    The one concession I've made is a larger (160 amp Electromaax) alternator. It's gotten the engine runtime down to about 45 minutes a day.

                    Sincerely,

                    Tom Keffer

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013
                        Despite what you see out on the water, I don't think carrying a dinghy on davits is a good idea.
                        In a gale and high seas it presents way too much windage.  During passage making, we always deflate ours and carry it on deck lashed in front of the mast. Even if it were a hard bottom, we would stow it deflated and on the fore deck.  The outboard is also stowed below in the starboard aft locker.  No jerry cans are ever on deck either.
                        I installed the optional port hard fuel tank and built a floor over it and the jerry cans can sit on top of the floor, down nice and low and very secure.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013
                          I agree that the dinghy should always be stowed on deck during a passage. My current dinghy has a soft inflatable floor which deflates to assembly that is 36", L 24" W, & 16" H. It  is stored on the cabin top forward of the dodger. If I upgrade the dinghy to a RIB it has to fit forward of the mast deflated and lashed down. Also, davits interfere with the swim ladder

                          My overall goal is to keep as much performance as possible and still be able to do a 3,000 nm passage safely. For the Caribbean 1500, I installed the optional 31 gal fuel on the port side and 2 jerry can fit aft of it. During this passage we ran the engine just over 2 hours per day for battery charging, refrigeration and SSB use. Over the last 5 months cruising the Virgin Island, the engine is run 2 hours per day and the Honda about 1 hour per day.

                          The current batteries are around 10 years old and will be replaced when I get back to Annapolis. During this upgrade I will add a SOC monitor for both the 400ah house bank and 75ah start battery. Also, I will take Tom's advise about upgrading the alternator.

                          I have already decide against a gantry.

                          Thank you for all your inputs. I will update everyone when the final configuration has been selected.

                          Joe
                          Sent from my iPad

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013
                            Joe
                            If you pack your inflatable in a bag, consider stowing it ahead of the mast.
                            It is more secure there as the hand rails are closer, you can use the mast to tie it to as well, it makes a very handy step to get to the main headboard when you attach the halyard, it also is a nice seat up forward when you are underway and finally it is easier to inflate there due to more room and easier to launch with no boom in the way.  Just a thought.

[...]

                          • Paul Lever
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
                              On my J/37 while cruising Central America I had stainless bars weld from the pushpit to the lifeline gate entry. Then mounted smaller solar panels on the rail on Magma rail mounts that were tiltable.  This let me put them up during normal conditions and fold them down when they might be in the way. Total  of 350 watts solar using 4 panels. Figure on most days at least one panel would be shaded. Handled all onboard electric when the weather was good. Required using the Yamaha 1000 genset when it was cloudy.

                              Paul

                            • Frank Flannery
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
                                We've been cruising the Caribbean for 8 years on our J/40, so we have
                                some experience with this.

                                First and foremost, before considering adding charging solutions, you
                                need to reduce your usage. Refrigeration and computers tend to be the
                                biggest draws, based on our experience. Make sure your fridge top is
                                VERY well gasketed and your compressor is well ventilated. Better
                                yet, get a keel cooler for the fridge. Next, get a netbook, since
                                they draw significantly less power. Probably 1/4 the power of a
                                normal laptop. Finally, upgrade your lights to LED and CFL. Also, an
                                amp meter is a must.

                                For charging, we have 290 watts of solar, mostly mounted on the
                                bimini, This was about perfect in the sunny E Caribbean, but in the
                                west, it is not always enough. We have a honda 2000 that can put 100
                                amps an hour into the batteries via an old Hart Freedom 20. A high
                                output alternator is great, but if your engine has a turbo, it will
                                wreck it eventually. The Honda, while noisy, will put in as many or
                                more amps and not heat up the boat interior, making your fridge work
                                even harder.

                                Finally, as for loading down your J-boat, yes it sucks, but it is the
                                inevitability of cruising. Of course we all try to keep the weight
                                down but it isn't going to happen. We have raised our waterline twice
                                and are laden with too many toys. That being said, the boat still
                                sails great, especially in light air. The other day, we were beating
                                into 10-11 kts doing about 6.4. I think the bigger penalty is in
                                breeze upwind in seas, hobbyhorsing really kills the speed. Luckily,
                                we work hard to avoid this for lots of reasons. You will also notice a
                                hit in under 8 or 9 and well. J boats are great caribbean boats
                                because we can sail island to island while everyone else is motoring.
                                When the seas are 8-12 ft, nobody is thrilled to be out there, but in
                                10-12 kts and 3-4 ft seas, we're sailing and they're motoring.

                                One suggestion on weight is get a 9.5 Aluminum AB dinghy and 15 horse
                                enduro. The weight combination is very good, and the dinghy is big
                                enough for all cruising purposes. If you put a 10 inch pitch prop on
                                it and some water wings, it will even plane 4 adults. The 9.5 fits
                                perfectly on the foredeck of a j/40, so I assume it will also fit the
                                42. It was one of the best purchases we've made.

                                Also, do the math on the weight of some panels vs fuel weight planning
                                the run your engine two hrs a day times 10 day passage. I think the
                                panels will win.

                                Good luck, Frank

                                On 4/4/13, Paul Lever <svjeorgia@...> wrote:
                                > On my J/37 while cruising Central America I had stainless bars weld from
                                > the pushpit to the lifeline gate entry. Then mounted smaller solar panels
                                > on the rail on Magma rail mounts that were tiltable. This let me put them
                                > up during normal conditions and fold them down when they might be in the
                                > way. Total of 350 watts solar using 4 panels. Figure on most days at least
                                > one panel would be shaded. Handled all onboard electric when the weather
                                > was good. Required using the Yamaha 1000 genset when it was cloudy.
                                >
                                > Paul

                              • John Burnett
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 13, 2013
                                  We usually run the genset 2 hours a day primarily for the Sea Frost DC drain. We are looking at adding a couple solar panels on the bimini to cut down on genset time and act as a backup power source when the alternators die.

                                  We boat sat a Beneteau in SXM this winter and were very impressed with how little engine charging time their DC reefer used. They had a solar panel which helped out.

                                  We used to have a 150 amp alternator and switched down to 100 amp.
                                  The larger did not ever put out anything like its rated output.

                                  We will probably add a wind mill next trip down to the West Indies.

                                  John Burnett
                                  J46 Folie a Deux