Re: [j4x-owners-group] gooseneck

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 18, 2013
      I don't have any pic's.  The boat is covered and miles away so not much chance till spring.
      However, to get a good idea, go to any large hardware store and look for bushings.  Stock sizes have a half inch inside diameter which is the same as the pin outside dia.

      Look for bushings with a collar on one end.  This collar will keep it from falling through the hole.
      Next look for a drill bit that matches the outside dia. of the bushing.  You might have to hunt a little for the bit at a speciality machine tool store.  Try to get one almost the same dia as the bushing but just a hair smaller so you can press the bushing in.  Then with a long heavy bolt with washers on each end and a nut, put it through the bushing and the hole and tighten till you have pressed the bushing into the hole.  I think you get the idea.
      You will have to do the same for the boom tangs.

      With the gooseneck itself, I would take it to a machine shop and let them press in a bushing since it might be hard to find one long enough in a hardware store.   Also there is no room for a collar so the bushing must be flush with the ends of the holes which requires a tight pressed in fit.  Maybe Hall would do it for you if you sent the gooseneck back to them.
      Hope this helps.

      On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:37 PM, "Thomas Keffer" <tkeffer@...> wrote:

      Bill, do you have a picture? I'm not having any problems with my gooseneck, but I'm curious how you put yours together. Sounds like a great solution.

      -tk

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      Too bad it took them so long to figure out the mismatch between alum. and stainless steel
      What is odd though is the fact our mast was built in 1995/96 and has the tangs welded directly to the mast.  So are the tangs for the boom vang.  Nothing is bolted or screwed on to the mast.
      I would have used stainless steel bushing if I could have easily found them.  The local True Value has all kinds of bronze bushings and I think I bought all I needed for less than $10.
      Bill Stellin   #6 Jaywalker

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:17 PM, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

      I shared the goose neck bushing fix Bill suggested with my friend who works at Hall. He told me they have changed the way they attach booms to masts since mine was manufactured in 1998.  They now weld two aluminum lugs directly to the mast and use stainless bushings for the pin holes. He said Bronze could be used as well… Just FYI… Tony Affinity 26

      --
      Tom Keffer
      keffer@...