Re: [j4x-owners-group] Feedback Request on Gooseneck Joint? [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
      Looks pretty similar to mine

      -tk

      On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham <sk_dickinson@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham included below]

      Hi All,

      I've found we have quite a bit of play in the gooseneck and had a rigger look at it.  He thought what we have didn't look original.

      Can anyone give feedback on our J-42?

      Thanks
      Scott
      J/42 #33 TikiJ

      --
      Tom Keffer
      keffer@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
        Bill, you make a very good point. I thought of the potential recurrence of  elongation of the tang holes as I responded to Scott, but did not have a better idea. The SS pin in the alum tang holes will surly lead to the problem occurring again in 8 or 9 years like it did the first time. I don’t know that it would soon fail, but the noise it makes is very annoying. Seems like your remedy is a better choice. Did you have to take the wrap off the mast, or can you do the job without disassembly? Tony Affinity #26

        From: William Stellin <wstellin@...>
        Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 08:27:43 -0500
        To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
        Cc: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] Feedback Request on Gooseneck Joint?

        The problem with just replacing the tangs on the mast and the gooseneck is that you still have alum holes and stainless steel pins that connect everything.  That is what I wanted to avoid, so i drilled out the holes and put in bronze bushings.  They have a shoulder on them so they won't fall out.  Also the drill size is slightly smaller so the are  pressed in.  Frankly, this is what Hall should have done when they made the parts.  The holes will elongate again with alum and stainless steel mixing.  Alum is way too soft for a part that gets this much stress and movement.
        Bill   #6 Jaywalker

        Sent from my iPad

        On Feb 17, 2013, at 1:34 AM, "Anthony M Iacono" <tony@...> wrote:

        Hi Scott,

        It looks like mine on hull #26.
        In 2009 I had some play so I purchased a new one from Hall, but when I tried to install it, the pre-drilled screw holes on the wrap did not exactly align with the holes in the mast. I asked Hall for a fix, they took my old one, cut off the tangs and welded on new ones. That approach provided a "new" fitting with no play and no new or elongated holes in the mast at the attachment points.
        Tony: Affinity #26

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 17, 2013
          My tangs are welded directly to the mast and are part of it.  I notice this newer ones seem to be screw/bolted to the mast and are removable (with some effort I am sure).
          I drilled my holes out with a hand drill and a long bit that eventually went thru both tangs.  This kept the holes in line.  I went to  a True Value hardware store for the bronze bushings with an inside dia. the same as the pins.  It has been very effective.  No noise now and they seem to be better suited to stainless than the alum. was.  I never have to grease the pin like I did before to stop the squeaking.  I drilled out every hole that a stainless steel pin goes through including the boom. Now there is no slop and no noise.  I did this a couple of years ago and it has held up beautifully.  Like I said, Hall should have done this when they manufactured the parts in the first place.  I wonder why they changed the part on the mast to a wrap rather than welding directly to the mast like mine.  I suspect, they noticed unusual wear and with a removable part, it can be replaced if the holes get elongated.  If they didn't use some sort of anti seize on the screws, good luck trying to back them out.  Most all of the screws will have to be drilled out, making the job a real nightmare.  I think I would rather just drill out the pin holes and use a bushing.  Plus if the bushing ever failed, it too can be drilled out and replaced.