Diameter of Emergency Tiller Deck Plate Lid?

  • rersk
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 28, 2012
      As my boat is in a far away place and needs a replacement O ring for the deck plate that encloses the upper rudder bearing, I'm checking to see if someone out there knows the diameter of the Plate or the O ring...and happy New Year to all J sailors where ever they may be.

      Thanks,
      Reed J42 #65 Cayenne, lying in Alghero, Sardinia
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2012
        My plate was made by Viking (now out of business), but I ordered Neoprene O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 445, part 94115K445 from McMcMaster-Carr and they seem to fit well.

        YMMV.

        -tk

        --
        Tom Keffer
        keffer@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2012
          I have never been able to keep my deck plate from leaking even after replacing the whole plate.
          Finally, I just sealed it up.  I figure I can yank the plate out if I ever have to use the emergency tiller.
          Bill    Jaywalker  #6

          Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 28, 2012
              LOL! I'm happy to just send you one. Send me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I'll slip one in the mail. An 8.5 x 11 envelope will do.

              -tk
              1201 Country Club Rd.
              Hood River, OR 97031

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
                    Hi Tom:

                    I am not in need of this o-ring but I really appreciate the link to McMaster-Carr!  I often need different sized o-rings and they seem to have everything!!

                    Happy New Year to all J owners!

                    cheers,
                     Bernie
                     s/v Mystic Rose  J/46

                    Bernie Coyne
                    Technical Marketing Manager
                    Application Lifecycle Management Solutions