Propeller shaft seal

  • Ivan C Getting
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2012
      Greetings all,

      I have hull number 76, Kittiwake, built in the last year of J/42 production, 2006.  This summer we have gone 3000 miles up the entire Inside Passage from Blaine, WA and back with a lot of time under power.  The engine clock now reads just over 2000 hours.

      Recently I have noticed salt water in the bilge compartment just forward of the galley sink.  Sometimes is will stay dry for days on end.  At other times it accumulates the day after drying it up.  Today I watched the propeller shaft seal while underway in quiet water, 1900 rpm, 5.5 knots.  On the first inspection the seal was dripping at about one drop every second.  An hour later the seal was bone dry, still under way.  I tried gently pushing sideways on the rubber boot.  In both directions this resulted in a significant stream of water pouring through the seal at the forward end.

      Below is a photo of the seal.  Does anyone know what shaft seal is in my boat?  Is intermittent, but persistently re-occurring, leaking to be expected from this seal?  I plan to store the boat in the water over the winter.  Does anyone have any perspective on the condition of this seal and the safety of leaving the boat unattended over the winter?  I plan to haul out in the spring and can do whatever is necessary at that time.

      Thanks for any help,

      Ivan Getting

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
        We have the PSS system sold by PYI. It doesn't look like yours and never drips a drop, which is as it should be. They are called "dripless" not drip less. I would look at the two surfaces
        For any corrosion or pitting. Also make sure there is sufficient pressure from the rubber boot to insure the surfaces are touching firmly at all shaft speeds.
        Bill Stellin. Jaywalker
        Sent from my iPad

        On Sep 6, 2012, at 11:23 PM, "Ivan C Getting" <getting@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > I have hull number 76, Kittiwake, built in the last year of J/42 production, 2006. This summer we have gone 3000 miles up the entire Inside Passage from Blaine, WA and back with a lot of time under power. The engine clock now reads just over 2000 hours.
        >
        > Recently I have noticed salt water in the bilge compartment just forward of the galley sink. Sometimes is will stay dry for days on end. At other times it accumulates the day after drying it up. Today I watched the propeller shaft seal while underway in quiet water, 1900 rpm, 5.5 knots. On the first inspection the seal was dripping at about one drop every second. An hour later the seal was bone dry, still under way. I tried gently pushing sideways on the rubber boot. In both directions this resulted in a significant stream of water pouring through the seal at the forward end.
        >
        > Below is a photo of the seal. Does anyone know what shaft seal is in my boat? Is intermittent, but persistently re-occurring, leaking to be expected from this seal? I plan to store the boat in the water over the winter. Does anyone have any perspective on the condition of this seal and the safety of leaving the boat unattended over the winter? I plan to haul out in the spring and can do whatever is necessary at that time.
        >
        > Thanks for any help,
        >
        > Ivan Getting
        >

        > <mime-attachment.png>

      • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
          Ours did not look like yours.

          The original on our boat wasn't a dripless, and it would have some water coming out while under way. We could tighten it to stop the water flow and found ourselves adjusting it on long trips back from Hawaii to SF.
          Ours was a simple packing gland and we found replacing the material inside (the packing stuff) stopped the leaking for quite some time.

          When we had the motor remounted (two of the mounting brackets had broken before our purchase) we installed the unit for PYI.  Originally, there wasn't room for the PYI.

          Scott Dickinson, TikiJ

          We have the PSS system sold by PYI. It doesn't look like yours and never drips a drop, which is as it should be. They are called "dripless" not drip less. I would look at the two surfaces
          For any corrosion or pitting. Also make sure there is sufficient pressure from the rubber boot to insure the surfaces are touching firmly at all shaft speeds.
          Bill Stellin. Jaywalker
          Sent from my iPad

          On Sep 6, 2012, at 11:23 PM, "Ivan C Getting" <getting@...> wrote:

          > Greetings all,
          >
          > I have hull number 76, Kittiwake, built in the last year of J/42 production, 2006. This summer we have gone 3000 miles up the entire Inside Passage from Blaine, WA and back with a lot of time under power. The engine clock now reads just over 2000 hours.
          >
          > Recently I have noticed salt water in the bilge compartment just forward of the galley sink. Sometimes is will stay dry for days on end. At other times it accumulates the day after drying it up. Today I watched the propeller shaft seal while underway in quiet water, 1900 rpm, 5.5 knots. On the first inspection the seal was dripping at about one drop every second. An hour later the seal was bone dry, still under way. I tried gently pushing sideways on the rubber boot. In both directions this resulted in a significant stream of water pouring through the seal at the forward end.
          >
          > Below is a photo of the seal. Does anyone know what shaft seal is in my boat? Is intermittent, but persistently re-occurring, leaking to be expected from this seal? I plan to store the boat in the water over the winter. Does anyone have any perspective on the condition of this seal and the safety of leaving the boat unattended over the winter? I plan to haul out in the spring and can do whatever is necessary at that time.
          >
          > Thanks for any help,
          >
          > Ivan Getting
          >

          > <mime-attachment.png>

        • Conrad
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012

            I also have the a PYI dripless… we installed last year and it works great.  My prior boat had the one that you showed in the picture.  It worked fine and was supposed to drip some.  Also, if you squeeze the rubber the water will flow by the seal so that is not unexpected.  Since we always pulled our boat for the winters it was necessary to release the air lock that occurred in that model each time you put the boat back in the water.  Otherwise I had the boat for over 11 years and not problem with that seal.   I think there is a grease that is squeezed by the rubber seal for maintenance.  I think it may be the 1st generation of the drip less.

            Conrad

            Another J