RE: [j4x-owners-group] yanmar engine question, windlass, alt drive belt.

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29 6:39 PM
    On my previous J/42 I successfully used a gear puller to remove the shaft out of the gearbox.  Put the point of the puller on the end of the shaft and the arms gripped around the top of the gearbox housing.

    Here's an image of the 3 legged gear puller I purchased from Sears:

    And here is the windlass before removal.  You can see the key sticking down and the shaft up inside the gearbox.  The turquoise is the corrosion :-)

    Good luck!  I may have to do this again soon for my new J/46 :-)

    Bernie
    J/46 Mystic Rose

    Bernie Coyne
    Sr. Market Manager
    Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

    From:        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
    To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
    Date:        08/29/2012 07:28 PM
    Subject:        RE: [j4x-owners-group] yanmar engine question, windlass, alt drive belt.

    How the heck did you get the shaft out of the gearbox? I have struggled with mine for weeks trying to get them to separate. Even tried a gear puller, but no joy (yes, I know there is a circlip that must be removed first.)

    On Aug 29, 2012 3:25 PM, "Conrad" <cdsail123@...> wrote:

    Thanks for the information.  I extracted the gear and motor today (not a fun job but done).  It definitely has no worm gearing left with the key still  in the key way, the motor running but not shaft movement and two inches of salt around the shaft section).

    That may be my problem with the belt.  I will keep a closer eye on the wear and adjust if necessary.

    All – thanks again.

    Conrad

    Another J

    # 46

    Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 20:37:09 -0400
    Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] yanmar engine question

    I had to replace the gear box as it turned to powder.  The case for the gears is made of some cheap metal which corroded away.  The combination of pot metal, electricity and salt water guaranteed failure.  Replacement parts are available but I would leave the rebuilding to a pro unless you are a very good mechanic.  Just removing the motor from the shaft takes a lot of experience.  Good luck. By the way, I also replaced the magnetic controller and this past year had to rebuild it too.   The magnetic solenoids rust so they won't move when power is applied.

    On Aug 27, 2012, at 7:58 PM, "Conrad " <
    cdsail123@...> wrote:

    Thanks,  I will do some more checking…

    Conrad

    Message 2 of 17 , Aug 29 8:39 PM

      I found one clip which was easy to extract.  But the whole gear and motor took a lot of prying and it finally fell onto my knee (ouch!).     I agree the clip is almost invisible and it is not a clip that needs to be pulled apart, it just needs to be pryed with a screw driver and it will come off easily.   Frankly it was not the shaft that needed movement it was the 4 screws that kept holding the movement.  Even with the nuts off the slide was slowed by the trends and salt build up.  Clearly the shaft was dry (once off I was able to see it) but the bolt treads and salt build up on the key way are the most difficult to overcome.  A mallet can help to create some movement without the hammer jolt.

      Conrad