rod rigging

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008
      Has anyone had their rod rigging reheaded or replaced? If so I have
      some questions for you.

      Thanks,

      Tiki J
      J/42
    • Paul Lever
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2008
        I recently pulled the stick and had all of the rod heads die-tested and replaced my turnbuckles.

        Paul
        J/37 Jeorgia
        At 04:09 PM 10/29/2008, Jennifer wrote:

        Has anyone had their rod rigging reheaded or replaced? If so I have
        some questions for you.

        Thanks,

        Tiki J
        J/42

      • newtmerrill
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
          --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <sailsfbay@...>
          wrote:

          > Has anyone had their rod rigging reheaded or replaced? If so I have
          > some questions for you.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Tiki J
          > J/42

          We replaced all on FINESSE hull#20 (1997) last year during re-fit.
        • Jennifer
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
            So our situation is that the yard has determined (with the stick in)
            that the rod rigging needs to be replaced. They want to take the
            stick out and we are not sure what value that adds since they already
            know they have to replace all the rod. Do either of you have any
            input on why they might need to take out the stick to replace the
            rod? the yard isn't really giving us a good reason, they say they
            need to pull the stick to inspect the rod but they have already
            determined the rod needs to be replaced so we don't see the point of
            inspecting it more first (for an extra $3000). We are going to call
            Navtec for their opinion as well. :-)

            Any input greatly appreciated!

            We have J-42 hull #33 (1999) Tiki J
          • Richard Erspamer
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
              Hi,

              We own J40, hull no 32, Sandy Cay, which is long overdue for a rig change.  A relative question, has anyone ever used the wire rigging used by Tartan/C&C which is purchased through the West Marine Rigging Shop?  According to WM, it is much cheaper and nicer.

              And no, I don't know why you have to drop the stick to change the rig, but it's definitely easier to work on sawhorses than in a bosun's chair.  Some yards require use of an in house rigger or have one on call, which may be why you have to drop the mast.

              Richard

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                I replaced our rod 18 mo.s ago w/ the stick in. Fittings vary, but there was no
                need to pull the stick to inspect the rod; however, on my boat it did require detaching
                all the shrouds so the you could slide out the spreaders to access the attachments.
                That said, while it was possible to replace the rod with the stick in, it was a bit
                spooky hanging from the stick while it was supported only by temporary stays:
                halyards etc. It was definitely moving around, though I was in the water. Once
                you have the lowers in, its not so bad, but, in retrospect, I would have pulled
                the stick.

                --
                Bill Connor, Principal
                Blue Hole Software
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                  I used 316 Dyform wire for last rig change and will do it again next time.  Stronger than the standard wire, with stretch more comparable to rod, and much less corrosion than the original 304.  And costs a bit more accordingly. Took the mast down to repaint/refurbish it, add a spare halyard, and also rewire the mast after 10+ years of wire chafe.  Had it done by the local Navtec shop, who picked up and delivered to to the yard with a mast trailer.  Probably won't do it again next time.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                      Paul thanks for the input. It sounds as though you feel they can do
                      a better (quality) job if they replace the rod with the stick out?
                      We are going to have the tri-color replaced with an LED version but
                      everything else seems in good shape. Still have not talked to
                      NavTec re their opinion on stick out versus in.

                      --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, Paul Lever <paullever@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I don't see any good reason not to pull the stick. The labor for
                      the
                      > riggers will end up less with the work down on the ground. The
                      > inspection of all components will be done much better. The ease of
                      > making additional changes, like mast head tri-colors or new coax
                      for
                      > VHF , is an added benefit. Since you only change the standing
                      rigging
                      > once every 10-20 years, do it right. Also, consider re-heading
                      > instead of replacement. It can be much less expensive. The Rod
                      itself
                      > only tends to have issues at excessive spreader bends or the like.
                      > The typical problems occur in the rod heads. These can be dye
                      coated
                      > and inspected and/or just re-headed.
                      >
                      > Paul

                    • Jennifer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                        So I take it you did this work yourself? I am impressed. :-)

                        --- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "William Connor"
                        <cipherbill@...> wrote:

                        > I replaced our rod 18 mo.s ago w/ the stick in. Fittings vary, but
                        there was
                        > no
                        > need to pull the stick to inspect the rod; however, on my boat it
                        did
                        > require detaching
                        > all the shrouds so the you could slide out the spreaders to access
                        the
                        > attachments.
                        > That said, while it was possible to replace the rod with the stick
                        in, it
                        > was a bit
                        > spooky hanging from the stick while it was supported only by
                        temporary
                        > stays:
                        > halyards etc. It was definitely moving around, though I was in the
                        water.
                        > Once
                        > you have the lowers in, its not so bad, but, in retrospect, I
                        would have
                        > pulled
                        > the stick.
                        >
                        > On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Jennifer <sailsfbay@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > So our situation is that the yard has determined (with the
                        stick in)
                        > > that the rod rigging needs to be replaced. They want to take the
                        > > stick out and we are not sure what value that adds since they
                        already
                        > > know they have to replace all the rod. Do either of you have any
                        > > input on why they might need to take out the stick to replace the
                        > > rod? the yard isn't really giving us a good reason, they say they
                        > > need to pull the stick to inspect the rod but they have already
                        > > determined the rod needs to be replaced so we don't see the
                        point of
                        > > inspecting it more first (for an extra $3000). We are going to
                        call
                        > > Navtec for their opinion as well. :-)
                        > >
                        > > Any input greatly appreciated!
                        > >
                        > > We have J-42 hull #33 (1999) Tiki J
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Bill Connor, Principal
                        > Blue Hole Software

                      • Jennifer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2008
                          Navtec has spoken. The stick will be pulled. They feel it will result
                          in a better quality job. I appreciate everyone's insight and
                          experiences. I am sure we will have many more questions for you as we
                          work through the systems on this new to us boat.
                        • newtmerrill
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 31, 2008
                            -A few comments: 1) I guess we're a little old fashioned in that we
                            have the mast pulled every season when boat is hauled. Therefore it
                            was out when rig was inspected and replaced.
                            2)After 10 seasons of use both racing and cruising, 15,000 miles or
                            so, 5 Bermuda races and one "stress grounding" several of the heads
                            on Navtec rod were distorted. We replaced with the same from Navtec.
                            -- In j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com, "newtmerrill"

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 31, 2008
                              We are in California so we don't have to haul every winter. The
                              season never ends. :-) thank you for the input, we did decide to
                              have the mast pulled after talking to NavTec.