RE: [j4x-owners-group] J/42 generator and AC - where to install and issues

  • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
    It is the aft most locker in the middle of the 'back porch'/transom, behind
    the rudder post.

    Barry Dwyer
    <bdwyer@...
    m> To
    Sent by: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com"
    j4x-owners-group@ <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
    yahoogroups.com cc

    Subject
    07/02/2012 10:50 RE: [j4x-owners-group] J/42
    AM generator and AC - where to install
    and issues

    Please respond to
    j4x-owners-group@
    yahoogroups.com

    Thanks, Dick.

    Where exactly is the life raft locker?

    Barry

    Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

      Thanks.  That is well aft.  Everything is a compromise when doing this and I wonder if giving up space in the aft cabin to get the weight forward would alleviate hobby horsing potential?

      Thanks to everyone for their help.

      Barry

      _________________________

      Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
        For what it is worth, we carried a heavy valise type life raft in the locker and we've never had a problem with hobbyhorsing.
        We also don't have a gen set or ac and never missed them while we lived on the boat for almost 9 years in the Med and one winter in the Carib.
        If you install a high output alternator, extra batteries, an inverter,you will have all the dc and ac current you will need except for running an air conditioner.
        You can buy very slick portable ac's from Menards and Home Depot that would work just fine for the days you need them.
        Frankly, I'd worry more about whether I really like the whole J/42 boat before spending time on kit for it.
        Bill Stellin.    Jaywalker. #6

        Sent from my iPad

        Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

          Thanks, Bill.

          I’m a huge fan of the 42 and she has been on my short list for quite a while.  Just have to convince my wife as she is not a fan of the transom. More of a traditional girl.

          The J/42 fits all of our needs for the interim and perhaps the long term plans with only the exception of a gen set (which is a desired not required feature).

          Thanks again.

          Barry

          Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

            Bill,

            What was the portable AC that you are referring to at Menards or Home Depot.  Might be nice for evening in the dock and then leave it when we cruise or race.

            Conrad

            Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
              There are several brands.  Google portable air conditioner and Home Depot has at least 15 different models at varying price points and varying BTU outputs.  Two friends each bought one and they are very satisfied.  No installation and you can leave them in the dock box when they are not needed.

              Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
                I agree.

                I know you guys are sweltering on the East Coast and putting in that A/C must look mighty tempting. I also know that many other J/42 owners are happy with them. Still, I'd think long and hard before encumbering the boat with a genset and A/C.

                I bought my J/42 because I was sick of motoring. I wanted something where the sailing would be "fun" even in 4-6 knots of wind, and that's exactly what I got. Start adding weight and you're going to lose that light air performance.

                I'd look at getting a larger alternator (I like Electromaax with their serpentine belt) and a small portable window A/C unit (the Cruisair Carry-On seems to be popular).

                Easy for me to say, I know. In 20+ years of boating I could count the number of "hot" cruising days here in the Pacific Northwest on one hand!

                -tk