J/42 generator and AC - where to install and issues

  • tributesails
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2012
      Still looking at J42s and wondered if anyone had any insight into AC installations or gen sets. I'm looking for information on:

      1. Where to install
      2. Sizes (btu/Kw)
      3. Issues and thoughts with either such as loss of storage,weight, etc..

      We are Chesapeake sailors and need AC at the dock at least. Longer term plans are long distance cruising from Caribbean to Maine.

      Also need to find a boat....

      Thanks.
    • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2012
        HI,

        I've been looking at Gensets every time I go to the boat show hoping to find a diesel unit that doesn't weigh as much as the boat.

        My thoughts so far:

        Don't want another fuel on board.  We have dual 32gal diesel tanks, so this would be my choice.

        The diesel gensets are getting smaller and there are a few that are self contained in small "canisters" that have easily connected in/out water and power.

        Price seemed to be minimum $5K to $8K to start before automation.

        I was thinking of installing below the cockpit sole losing a bit of my aft cabin sleeping area.  I know some others have used this area for additional tanks.  Probably with disconnects setup for easy removal/servicing.

        We don't yet use our boat for Cruising, so no need at this time. Currently mostly long races/returns where weight is unwanted.

        Good luck, love to know if you find one.

        Scott
        TikiJ j/42 #33

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
          I have heard of mouting gensets in the port cockpit locker or under the life raft locker.  I realize the latter is unwanted weight aft but one could cut a replaceable floor in the liferaft locker to aid in installation and servicing.

          Another suggestion is to go with the portable Honda gas generator model EU200i.  They run on gasoline but you can get conversion kits to have them run on propane gas.  They are air-cooled and do generate some noise so you need to consider that factor on  your neighborliness.  However I have seen many full-time cruisers using this option.

          cheers,

          Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions
          IBM Software, Rational
          Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

            Thanks, Bernie.

            I know one J/42 in FL had a gen set but I never got the chance to look at that one before it sold.

            Based on the pictures it looked like they used some of the aft cabin bunk space.

            Barry

            I have heard of mouting gensets in the port cockpit locker or under the life raft locker.  I realize the latter is unwanted weight aft but one could cut a replaceable floor in the liferaft locker to aid in installation and servicing.

            Another suggestion is to go with the portable Honda gas generator model EU200i.  They run on gasoline but you can get conversion kits to have them run on propane gas.  They are air-cooled and do generate some noise so you need to consider that factor on  your neighborliness.  However I have seen many full-time cruisers using this option.

            cheers,

            Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

            IBM Software, Rational

            Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

            Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
              I spent a winter in the Carrib and first thing I did when I returned was put in an AC.

              Mine works Great and it provides heat in the cold months.

              Mine is a Cruise Air 1,600 BTU. It was installed by Noreast Marine Systems out of Westport Mass. (Scott Manchester 508 680 2353).  I understand you can use either a Cruise Air or Marine Air  as they are the smallest. Mine is compact and weights about 25 lbs.

              Location: It is installed under the V berth on the Starboard side. A small platform using plywood was needed to provide a 'floor' for it to sit on. The intake Air is in just above the small center line locker in the V. It is quite unobtrusive.
              Water Flow : The water intake comes from the same sea cock as the aft head. So no new holes below the water. A "Y" at that point allows water to to flow to the head or the AC unit. (a nice feature and if the unit ever needs to be primed just pump the toilet) The hose travels under the Icebox  to under the Port settee where the pump is located. It then goes to the unit and the exhaust water exits through the one hole needed be made above the waterline on the Port side under the forward Head sink.
              Electricity: The electricity comes from the electrical panel, through the starboard cabinets, down inside the forward hanging locker to the AC unit. I put a 'soft start' on it because it can draw a lot of juice when starting and kept tripping the generator.
              Duct work: flows to the Port side under the V berth. O ne vent is by the port shelf in the V berth and the other is in the Main Salon on the shelf between the two cabinets.
              Generator: I considered but did not put a Gen Set due to the storage issues and weight. While researching so many people touted the virtues of a Honda 2000 gas generator I went with that. It works, thought it is best to have on ONLY the AC or it trips. It is portable and could have other uses. It does make some noise, but not to worry as you see them around mooring fields. Key for me however is at anchor or on a ball in NE I do not usually need the AC. But in a marina with power it is great.

              I race a bit cruise a bit and go long haul a bit. The storage space lost was minimal with how we did it. I stressed storage. It was well worth it from the point of view of comfort at a dock.

              Hope that helps.

              From: tributesails <bdwyer@...>
              Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:59:56 -0000
              To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

            • dick.sanford@partnerre.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
                On #55 I have a 3KW NextGen genset installed underneath the life raft
                locker on the centerline. The compact unit is fully enclosed in its' own
                soundproof clamshell case. It looks like they had to cut the bottom of the
                life raft locker off, an perhaps shorten the depth of it. although I can
                still get a six pax soft case life raft in there. Access is excellent as
                the floor of that locker has two handles and you can just lift it out. the
                drain hose in the floor requires some attention when doing this but
                generally no big deal. It runs on diesel and has its' own dedicated fuel
                tank switch/manifold so you can run it off one tank or the other
                independent of the main. The mixing pot/muffler is bonded to the hull just
                forward of the rudder post and exits the transom on the starboard side. The
                dedicated start battery is on the aft end of the shelf in the port cockpit
                locker.

                I also have an a/c unit mounted just aft of the holding tank on the
                centerline in the vee berth. The genset will run the inverter and the a/c
                with no problem. While I've never tripped the main on the generator I
                generally switch off the a/c for a few minutes when using electrical
                appliances such as the microwave or the coffee maker. The a/c cannot cool
                the whole boat, there are only vents in the vee and main salon. I find that
                if you close off the aft cabin and the aft head it is quite comfortable in
                the rest of the boat. Its also runs reverse cycle heat which helps extend
                the New England cruising season a bit. Since there is usually just three of
                us onboard when cruising, this arrangement works fine. There are some
                drawbacks to this installation, the first is that when you are sleeping,
                the a/c unit is just below your head and it cycles on and off all night.
                Once you get used to it, it's tolerable and beats the alternative. Another
                is that the air around the unit is always funky and stale when you fire up
                the unit, based on its' proximity to the holding tank. I have an air
                freshener strategically positioned in front of the return vent to overcome
                this and it works, also I'm very attentive to holding tank care and
                maintenance.

                I've rationalized that the weight of the genset in the transom offsets the
                200' of all chain rode and the a/c up forward, also, it all came with the
                boat.

                Hope this helps,

                Dick Sanford
                truant #55

                _________________________
                Richard N. Sanford
                Executive Vice President
                Partner Reinsurance Company of the U.S.
                One Greenwich Plaza
                Greenwich, CT 06830
                Tel: 203-485-4279
                Fax: 203-485-4080
                dick.sanford@...

                DISCLAIMER: This e-mail contains information solely intended for named
                recipients and is confidential and proprietary to PartnerRe. If you are not
                one of the intended recipients of this message, you must not read, use or
                disseminate the information in it and should notify the sender by replying
                to this message and deleting it afterwards from your mail system. Please be
                aware that unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this communication
                is prohibited.
              • Barry Dwyer
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

                  Thanks, Dick.

                  Where exactly is the life raft locker?

                  Barry

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
                  It is the aft most locker in the middle of the 'back porch'/transom, behind
                  the rudder post.

                  Barry Dwyer
                  <bdwyer@...
                  m> To
                  Sent by: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com"
                  j4x-owners-group@ <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                  yahoogroups.com cc

                  Subject
                  07/02/2012 10:50 RE: [j4x-owners-group] J/42
                  AM generator and AC - where to install
                  and issues

                  Please respond to
                  j4x-owners-group@
                  yahoogroups.com

                  Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

                    Thanks.  That is well aft.  Everything is a compromise when doing this and I wonder if giving up space in the aft cabin to get the weight forward would alleviate hobby horsing potential?

                    Thanks to everyone for their help.

                    Barry

                    Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
                      For what it is worth, we carried a heavy valise type life raft in the locker and we've never had a problem with hobbyhorsing.
                      We also don't have a gen set or ac and never missed them while we lived on the boat for almost 9 years in the Med and one winter in the Carib.
                      If you install a high output alternator, extra batteries, an inverter,you will have all the dc and ac current you will need except for running an air conditioner.
                      You can buy very slick portable ac's from Menards and Home Depot that would work just fine for the days you need them.
                      Frankly, I'd worry more about whether I really like the whole J/42 boat before spending time on kit for it.
                      Bill Stellin.    Jaywalker. #6

                      Sent from my iPad

                      Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

                        Thanks, Bill.

                        I’m a huge fan of the 42 and she has been on my short list for quite a while.  Just have to convince my wife as she is not a fan of the transom. More of a traditional girl.

                        The J/42 fits all of our needs for the interim and perhaps the long term plans with only the exception of a gen set (which is a desired not required feature).

                        Thanks again.

                        Barry

                        Message 12 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012

                          Bill,

                          What was the portable AC that you are referring to at Menards or Home Depot.  Might be nice for evening in the dock and then leave it when we cruise or race.

                          Conrad

                          Message 13 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
                            There are several brands.  Google portable air conditioner and Home Depot has at least 15 different models at varying price points and varying BTU outputs.  Two friends each bought one and they are very satisfied.  No installation and you can leave them in the dock box when they are not needed.

                            Message 14 of 14 , Jul 2, 2012
                              I agree.

                              I know you guys are sweltering on the East Coast and putting in that A/C must look mighty tempting. I also know that many other J/42 owners are happy with them. Still, I'd think long and hard before encumbering the boat with a genset and A/C.

                              I bought my J/42 because I was sick of motoring. I wanted something where the sailing would be "fun" even in 4-6 knots of wind, and that's exactly what I got. Start adding weight and you're going to lose that light air performance.

                              I'd look at getting a larger alternator (I like Electromaax with their serpentine belt) and a small portable window A/C unit (the Cruisair Carry-On seems to be popular).

                              Easy for me to say, I know. In 20+ years of boating I could count the number of "hot" cruising days here in the Pacific Northwest on one hand!

                              -tk