impeller blades - J42

  • Conrad & Deb Deeter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2012
      I just replaced the impeller (painful job) and discovered there were a couple of blades missing (parts of the blades).   I have never had cooling problems to date and hopefully nothing in the future but I wanted to know if any of you have had the same occurrence and what you did to find those broken blades.  I have the 56 hp ,4JH3-BE-97 yanmar.    I suppose I could take off the heat exchanger and see if the remnants are there (not sure how to do it).  There is an S tube that attaches to the water pump and to the heat exchanger that could be a spot that those pieces could be logged.

      I read a couple of sites that said just leave it.  If you have not experienced overheating the pieces may have broken off in small pieces and where extracted through the system or are sitting in the heat exchanger and not causing problems.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks in advance…

      Conrad
      cdsail123@... (new address)