backstay adjuster

  • Conrad
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2012

      I need to have the hydraulic bs reconditioned so I am taking it off and sending to maker (Sailtec).  I have running BS to help support the mast during the process of taking off the hydraulic.  I have not yet taken this mast down so I am not sure how much weight is going to be released once the BS is disconnected.   I am thinking that I can use a jumper rope from the top of the BS to the back rail and then once disconnected insert a rope where the BS was connected.  Is the weight that is release too much for once person to hold until I can replace with the line?

      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2012
        Hi Conrad:

        The mast stays up fine without a backstay.  The swept-back spreaders do the trick.  Just don't go sailing with an asym :-)

        We launch our boat with a crane, with the mast in and without a backstay all the time.

        Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions
        IBM Software, Rational
        Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

        From:        "Conrad " <cdsail123@...>
        To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
        Date:        05/09/2012 11:09 AM
        Subject:        [j4x-owners-group] backstay adjuster

        I need to have the hydraulic bs reconditioned so I am taking it off and sending to maker (Sailtec).  I have running BS to help support the mast during the process of taking off the hydraulic.  I have not yet taken this mast down so I am not sure how much weight is going to be released once the BS is disconnected.   I am thinking that I can use a jumper rope from the top of the BS to the back rail and then once disconnected insert a rope where the BS was connected.  Is the weight that is release too much for once person to hold until I can replace with the line?

      • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2012
          Dear Conrad,

          I've disconnected my backstay the same way you describe many times.  I found only the need for slight tension as the mast could stay up by itself.  Of course, this was at dock with minimum winds.  I actually used the Main Halyard to do this and it worked fine (of course it depends on the length of your halyard).

          Scott
          TikiJ J/42

          I need to have the hydraulic bs reconditioned so I am taking it off and sending to maker (Sailtec).  I have running BS to help support the mast during the process of taking off the hydraulic.  I have not yet taken this mast down so I am not sure how much weight is going to be released once the BS is disconnected.   I am thinking that I can use a jumper rope from the top of the BS to the back rail and then once disconnected insert a rope where the BS was connected.  Is the weight that is release too much for once person to hold until I can replace with the line?

        • conrad Deeter

              From:        "Conrad " <cdsail123@...>
              To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
              Date:        05/09/2012 11:09 AM

              I need to have the hydraulic bs reconditioned so I am taking it off and sending to maker (Sailtec).  I have running BS to help support the mast during the process of taking off the hydraulic.  I have not yet taken this mast down so I am not sure how much weight is going to be released once the BS is disconnected.   I am thinking that I can use a jumper rope from the top of the BS to the back rail and then once disconnected insert a rope where the BS was connected.  Is the weight that is release too much for once person to hold until I can replace with the line?

            • Robert Thuss
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2012

                Agree with the group – I pull the mast every year and it stands up just fine without any stays or shrouds connected – Robert

                  From:        "Conrad " <cdsail123@...>
                  To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date:        05/09/2012 11:09 AM

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2012
                    Yes my backstay has zero or just a little tension on in light wind to stop it flopping about.  I also tension it up a bit more in light wind and leftover chop to help prevent the mast tip from moving around.  Then as the wind increases I put more and more backstay tension on to bend the mast tip back and the middle bow forward to help flatten the mainsail.  The J/42 is almost a masthead rig so the tip does not deflect as much as a J/24 but it does help.

                    From:        Anthony M Iacono <tony@...>
                    To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date:        05/09/2012 12:56 PM

                    From: Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...>
                    Date:
                    Wed, 9 May 2012 11:16:06 -0400
                    To:
                    <
                    j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                    Re: [j4x-owners-group] backstay adjuster

                    Hi Conrad:

                    The mast stays up fine without a backstay.  The swept-back spreaders do the trick.  Just don't go sailing with an asym :-)

                    We launch our boat with a crane, with the mast in and without a backstay all the time.

                    Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions
                    IBM Software, Rational
                    Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

                    From:
                    "Conrad " <cdsail123@...>
                    To:
                    <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date:
                    05/09/2012 11:09 AM
                    Subject:
                    [j4x-owners-group] backstay adjuster
                    Sent by:

                      From:        Anthony M Iacono <tony@...>
                      To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                      Date:        05/09/2012 12:56 PM

                      From: Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...>
                      Date:
                      Wed, 9 May 2012 11:16:06 -0400
                      To:
                      <
                      j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                      Re: [j4x-owners-group] backstay adjuster

                      Hi Conrad:

                      The mast stays up fine without a backstay.  The swept-back spreaders do the trick.  Just don't go sailing with an asym :-)

                      We launch our boat with a crane, with the mast in and without a backstay all the time.

                      Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions
                      IBM Software, Rational
                      Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

                      From:
                      "Conrad " <cdsail123@...>