Re: [j4x-owners-group] J42 rudder stuffing box

  • Hotmail
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2012
      My boat hull #6, had a large red plastic ring that was used to squeeze the flax packing around the rudder post. The ring was probably 15 inches in diameter and had 8 or so large bolts around it's edge that you tightened to put pressure on the stuffing. The bearing was made by Harken and seized up after about 3-4 years. In essence it turned into a very large bushing. The whole housing turned instead of just the inner race which held the bearings.  The new bearing has lip seals, no packing and is a much better design and solution to keeping the condo dry.
      Bill Stellin.  Jaywalker

      Sent from my iPod

      On Apr 22, 2012, at 6:06 PM, conrad Deeter <cdsail123@...> wrote:

      I did some viewing today and did not see a rudder stuffing box.  Does it depend on bearing type?

      Conrad
      Another j
      # 46