Re: [j4x-owners-group] J-42 Optional Fuel Tank

  • Joseph Reed
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2012
      I have ordered the J-42 optional tank and a dual Racor filter. Please send me the diagrams that you offered. I should be getting the tank around the end of the month and then I will do the installation in May.

      Joe

      Joseph W. Reed
      Management & System Engineering Consultant
      Phone:  (410) 353-4254
      email: HST-JReed@...

      From: "Sk_dickinson@..." <sk_dickinson@...>
      Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:45:19 -0500
      To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] J-42 Optional Fuel Tank

      We have two tanks each 32gal. One below aft starboard bunk, the other at bottom of aft port seat locker. We have recently completely replumbed with dual filter allowing switching tanks or valves. I can share diagrams for how to do that. We chose not to enable auto fuel cleansing with a fuel boss like setup.

      Both are aluminum. I too would try to avoid aft or forward extent installations given the impacts on handling. Though I like the bag idea and the use of that aft locker.

      I can send pictures if wanted.

      Scott Dickinson
      TIKIJ J/42 #33

      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 2, 2012, at 1:37 PM, William Stellin <wstellin@...> wrote:

      I self installed the permanent alum tank in the port cockpit seat locker. It doubles the capacity.  TPI furnished a very novel manifold for switching which is foolproof.  I put a floor over it so now stuff doesn't drop so far down as to make the locker practically useless.
      I don't think the bladder was offered when I did it.  If the bladder mounts way back in the stern, it can add a lot of unwanted weight to the end of the boat.  Same for storing Jerry cans in the anchor locker.
      Bill Stellin.  J/42.    #6
      Sent from my iPad

      On Feb 2, 2012, at 12:34 PM, "Ivan C Getting" <getting@...> wrote:

      I have the factory option, 20 gal. bladder tank on Kittiwake, #74, 2006.  I use it all the time.  It has a gravity drain into the main tank with a shutoff valve at the main tank and a separate fill port on deck.  So far no problems.

      Also, I carry 2, 5 gal. fuel bottles in the aft fuel locker and another 2 under the rope portion of the anchor rode in the anchor locker.  All the bottle are made from high density polyethylene in Canada by "Scepter".  The aft bottles are traditional "Jerry Can" shape and lie on the narrow edge.  The forward bottles are shorter and sit upright.  I have never had any leaks nor vapor discharge from them.

      This give us a total of 30 + 20 +10 +10 = 70 gal., 2.3 times the original capacity, with no fuel on deck.  All of the lockers used are gravity vented.

      Ivan Getting

      On 2/2/2012 10:12 AM, hst_jreed wrote:

      I am considering adding an additional fuel tank to Keep it Simple hull #12 in preparation for cruising to the Caribbean next fall. Any recommendation from the J-42 owners.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 10, 2012
        Hi Bernie,
        I'm wondering if you could 're-send' your message from last year on tuning. You had provided the appropriate loos gage style (was it RJ 11?) and numbers you use. Sorry to bother you, simply cannot find it. Thanks Tony Iacono
      • Tom Keffer
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 10, 2012
          I don't recall ever seeing a "tuning" guide to the J/42, but Bernie has posted a sail selection guide and polars to the J/4X "files" directory.

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 11, 2012
          Here you go...based on RT11 Rod Loos Gauge:

          Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions
          IBM Software, Rational
          Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

          From:        Anthony M Iacono <tony@...>
          To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
          Date:        04/10/2012 07:47 PM
          Subject:        [j4x-owners-group] rig tune

          Message 5 of 25 , Apr 11, 2012
            Yes the guide is from North and is based on the J/120 guide and seems to work well for us.

            From:        "Tom Keffer" <tkeffer@...>
            To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
            Date:        04/10/2012 09:06 PM
            Subject:        [j4x-owners-group] Re: rig tune