RE: [j4x-owners-group] J-42 Optional Fuel Tank

  • Conrad Deeter
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2012

    We have two 30 gal aluminum tanks (installed by prior owner for a circumnave) that fit on the port side of the aft berth (starboard side) and are directly in line on the centerline.  One in front of the other.  They are connected through a T so that one is used separately with a transfer pump to the main tank.  The extra 60 gals definitely adds distance but puts the weight closer to the stern although center-lined for good balance.  they are both easily removed so I have removed one to add space for cruising with another couple.

    The tanks (std size) fits easily through the access doors (starboard berth door and companionway.   I attached a few pictures.

    Good luck,

    conrad

    Another J

    Message 2 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
    We have the second tank in the port locker with a manifold system to switch tanks (both fuel and return lines) mounted behind the engine, under the aft bunk (on center line). It's an aluminium tank with a TPI label on it (I think it says that it holds 31.7 gallons, which I think is the same capacity as the main tank), so I assume it was installed when the boat was built. The manifold leaked on the way to Maine in 2010, but the Hinckley yard in SW Harbor rebuilt it. They were familiar with the manifold and even carried parts for it, so I suspect that it's a common device. It works beautifully now. A photo of the rebuilt manifold is attached. You switch the tanks by flipping the "U" shaped handle in the middle. It "clicks" when it is up, down, or in the middle.

    Having two tanks worked well for us on our trip from the Chesapeake Bay to Antigua this past November - we had 13 gallons left after 1700 miles! Unfortunately, we got caught in what became TS Sean for 4 days. The stern pulpit was smashed by a breaking wave, the dodger was blown out and the frame was bent by another series of waves. We had countless boarding seas and one knock-down. I think jerry cans, no matter how carefully lashed, may have been swept away under those conditions. I think that a bladder might be better than jerry cans, but you'd have to make sure that it is properly secured, since it could weigh several hundred pounds when full, depending on its capacity.

    One nice thing about a second tank on the opposite side of the boat is that you have a preferred tank for each tack. On starboard tack, the fuel tends to move to the deeper side of the main tank where the pick-up is, and the same is true on port tack with the auxiliary tank. . If you're low on fuel, this might make a difference in terms of being able to actually use the fuel that you have. Similarly, the guage on the main tank reads artificially higher on starboard tack and artificially lower on port tack. The opposite is true for the auxiliary tank.

    Regards,

    Shane Creamer
    Baruna Hull #30

    From: User <tony@...>
    Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500
    To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

    Hi Joe,

    On trips to the Caribbean I tie jugs to the Stern Pulpits, and four, one to each stanchion gate port and starboard. You are looking for a better, cleaner solution. If you have not done so, see how James Wilson prepped his J 42 Ceol Mor for a  family circumnavigation. He added a bladder and took cans also. Check out the tab "The Boat" on his web site: www.svceolmor.com

    Tony Iacono #26

    From: hst_jreed <hst-jreed@...>
    Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 17:12:30 -0000
    To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

    I am considering adding an additional fuel tank to Keep it Simple hull #12 in preparation for cruising to the Caribbean next fall. Any recommendation from the J-42 owners.

    Joe

    The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way using any information contained within this communication. If you have received this communication in error please contact the sender by telephone or by response via mail.

    We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

  • Richard Greene
    Message 3 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
      This matches the factory installed set up in hull #48. Works well but it does take up the most usable section of that locker (right under the seat hatch) Much of the volume left for storage is not directly under the hatch - you have to climb down into the locker to get at stuff. If I were starting from scratch I'd make the tank longer and wider creating a false bottom in the locker - more like the shape of the main tank that fits under the aft berth.
      Dick Greene
      J42 Maine Sail

      To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
      From: shearwater@...
      Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 13:17:07 +0000
      Subject: Re: [j4x-owners-group] J-42 Optional Fuel Tank [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from shearwater@... included below]

      From: User <tony@...>
      Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500
      To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

      From: hst_jreed <hst-jreed@...>
      Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 17:12:30 -0000
      To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

    • shearwater@comcast.net
      Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012

        I agree completely. A longer, wider auxiliary tank would be much better.

        Shane Creamer

        Baruna Hull #30

        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

        From: User <tony@...>
        Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500
        To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
        • 1 Attachment
        • 7.7 MB

        Hi Dick-

        I'm attaching a photo of Maine Sail that I took in Blue Hill Bay in August, 2010 on our way to SW Harbor. I tried sending this to you using the email address on the members page, but it wouldn't go through for some reason. It's not the best picture (you were a good distance away and I was using a 400mm lense), but it's always nice to have a picture under sail!

        Best regards,

        Shane

        To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

        From: User <tony@...>
        Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500
        To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
          As I mentioned when the subject of tanks first came up, we have the second aux. alum tank which Shearwater described in more detail.  Over the course of 9years of ocean and Med sailing, we encountered many gales with breaking seas.  Nothing on deck would have survived and in fact had we had Jerry cans, they would have taken the stanchions and life lines with them. Our Dinghy is always deflated and stowed on passages.  J's are wet boats so the rule is clean and clear decks always.
          One of the other advantages to having two separate tanks is the ability to trim the boat by the use of fuel.  Also each tank has its own filter so if there are problems with one tank, we just switch to the other.  This plus the fact it is exactly opposite the other tank and the same size keeps the boat on her lines.
          Our switching manifold is the same as described and it is nothing more than two 3-way valves hooked together, so that one flip of the U shaped bar that connects each valve handle, turns on the supply and return from tank one and at the same times turns everything off of tank two. These valves are off the shelf and cost no more than $20 each.
          Now that we are back in the Great Lakes and race the boat every week from May 1st to Sept 20th. , keeping the boat light is important.  We keep about 5 gal in the aux. tank as an emergency backup.
          TPI put me in touch with their tank manufacturer in FL who sold me the tank for the same price they charge TPI.  The fuel lines, filter, deck fill, and vent all are off the shelf items from Defender or West Marine.  The tank is built so as to be able to get it into the locker from the seat opening.
          The only challenging part was building supports and fiberglassing them to the hull.  The tank is shaped to fit the contours of the hull.
          I briefly considered a bladder, but after thinking about how to properly secure it, considering all hold downs have to be built into the fabric and can't be changed, and the fact a bladder was just storage as opposed to a separately plumbed fuel supply, I opted for the system Johnstone designed for this hull. A couple of times the second supply source saved us when a filter got plugged.  We just switched tanks and took care of the problem when it was convenient.
          Hope this helps with the decision making
          Bill Stellin.  Jaywalker #6
          Sent from my iPad

          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

          From: User <tony@...>
          Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500
          To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
            Wonderful, we have few pictures underway - and February is nice time to be reminded how pleasant Blue Hill Bay is. We've never had a bad day there.

            Thanks, Dick Greene

            Do you keep the boat up that way?

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

            From: User <tony@...>
            Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500
            To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4, 2012
              Your welcome!

              No, we keep Baruna in Trappe on Maryland's Eastern Shore (although she's in Antigua at the moment). We sailed up to Mt. Desert Island in August of 2010. I took the picture of Maine Sail on our way up (you were heading the opposite way).

              To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

              To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

              From: User <tony@...>
              Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 16:59:14 -0500
              To: <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 9 of 25 , Feb 22, 2012
                Bill,

                I have talked to TPI and they were unable to answer any of my questions about the option tank configuration for the J-42. If you still have the information you received from them I would appreciate the information. I may have the Tank part number for one built by Florida Marine tanks.

                Joe Reed, J-42 #12

                Message 10 of 25 , Feb 22, 2012
                  It has been years since I put the tank in and I don't have any info on it here at home and I may not even have anything on the boat.  It was made by a Florida company who at that time was building all the aluminum tanks for the J/42.  TPI might be able to at least tell you the name of the tank company. I know their name is on the tank itself but the boat is in winter storage and quite a distance from our home. Maybe some other owner of the 90s vintage is closer to their boat and can look for their name.
                  Bill Stellin

                  Sent from my iPad

                • shearwater@comcast.net
                  Message 11 of 25 , Feb 22, 2012
                    I'll be back on my boat in Antigua this weekend. I'll check the labels on my tanks and send the information to the group by Monday.

                    Shane Creamer
                    Baruna J 42 #30

                  • tony@shanomet.com
                    Message 12 of 25 , Feb 22, 2012
                      If you have no luck Jim at waterline systems in Portsmouth RI (I believe used to work for TPI)  has contact info for most of the j suppliers. Tony

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 13 of 25 , Feb 22, 2012
                        I am not sure who made my port side secondary tank, but the maker of my primary tank is:

                        RDS Manufacturing
                        300 Industrial Park Dr
                        P.O. Box 1908
                        Perry, FL  323

                        904-584-6898

                        Hope this helps!

                        Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                        IBM Software, Rational
                        Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

                        From:        "tony@..." <tony@...>
                        To:        "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date:        02/22/2012 02:35 PM

                        #74, 2006. I use it all the time. It has a gravity drain into the main tank with a shutoff valve at the main tank and a separate fill port on deck. So far no problems.

                        > > Also, I carry 2, 5 gal. fuel bottles in the aft fuel locker and
                        another 2 under the rope portion of the anchor rode in the anchor locker. All the bottle are made from high density polyethylene in Canada by "Scepter". The aft bottles are traditional "Jerry Can" shape and lie on the narrow edge. The forward bottles are shorter and sit upright. I have never had any leaks nor vapor discharge from them.

                        > > This give us a total of 30 + 20 +10 +10 = 70 gal., 2.3 times
                        the original capacity, with no fuel on deck. All of the lockers used are gravity vented.

                        > > Ivan Getting
                        > >
                        > > On 2/2/2012 10:12 AM, hst_jreed wrote:
                        > >

                        > >> I am considering adding an additional fuel tank to Keep it
                        Simple hull #12 in preparation for cruising to the Caribbean next fall. Any recommendation from the J-42 owners.

                        > >> Joe

                      • Joseph Reed
                        Message 14 of 25 , Apr 4, 2012
                          I have ordered the J-42 optional tank and a dual Racor filter. Please send me the diagrams that you offered. I should be getting the tank around the end of the month and then I will do the installation in May.

                          Joe

                          Joseph W. Reed
                          Management & System Engineering Consultant
                          Phone:  (410) 353-4254
                          email: HST-JReed@...

                          From: "Sk_dickinson@..." <sk_dickinson@...>
                          Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:45:19 -0500
                          To: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                          Cc: "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>

                          We have two tanks each 32gal. One below aft starboard bunk, the other at bottom of aft port seat locker. We have recently completely replumbed with dual filter allowing switching tanks or valves. I can share diagrams for how to do that. We chose not to enable auto fuel cleansing with a fuel boss like setup.

                          Both are aluminum. I too would try to avoid aft or forward extent installations given the impacts on handling. Though I like the bag idea and the use of that aft locker.

                          I can send pictures if wanted.

                          Scott Dickinson
                          TIKIJ J/42 #33

                          Sent from my iPad

                          Message 15 of 25 , Apr 10, 2012
                            Hi Bernie,
                            I'm wondering if you could 're-send' your message from last year on tuning. You had provided the appropriate loos gage style (was it RJ 11?) and numbers you use. Sorry to bother you, simply cannot find it. Thanks Tony Iacono
                          • Tom Keffer
                            Message 16 of 25 , Apr 10, 2012
                              I don't recall ever seeing a "tuning" guide to the J/42, but Bernie has posted a sail selection guide and polars to the J/4X "files" directory.

                              Message 17 of 25 , Apr 11, 2012
                              Here you go...based on RT11 Rod Loos Gauge:

                              Market Mgr - Application Lifecycle Management Solutions

                              From:        Anthony M Iacono <tony@...>
                              To:        <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
                              Date:        04/10/2012 07:47 PM
                              Subject:        [j4x-owners-group] rig tune

                              Message 18 of 25 , Apr 11, 2012
                                Yes the guide is from North and is based on the J/120 guide and seems to work well for us.

                                From:        "Tom Keffer" <tkeffer@...>
                                To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                Date:        04/10/2012 09:06 PM
                                Subject:        [j4x-owners-group] Re: rig tune