Re: [j4x-owners-group] Asymetrical spin

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 15, 2012
      Conrad do you sail in lake michigan

      On Jan 15, 2012, at 3:53 PM, "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...> wrote:

      I am considering a new Asym. I would like your insight on an appropriate size for AW angles of 105 - 160 and approx. 10-18 kt AWind speed. We have an quantum V3 that is about 950 Sq ft and it seems like the boat may be able to handle a larger AS..

      What are your experiences handling the J42 with a larger AS?

      Another J

    • Conrad Deeter
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 15, 2012

        Yes, we sail out of north point marina in Zion , IL .  We race the Queens, Chicago Mack and a number of local distance races and a few double hand to Port Wash , etc.  along with our local yacht club races.

        Conrad

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 15, 2012

          Same on mine... wrong key stroke... sb ^ 650... not 950

          Conrad

          Mine is 51.33' x 46.16' x 26' (luff x leach x foot), for a total of about 600 sq ft.

          -tk

          --
          Thomas Keffer

          Email: keffer@...

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 16, 2012
            We are going to strictly sail fri. R u going

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 16, 2012
              Hi Conrad:

              On our J/42 Amigo VI, our largest asym is a North code 3A of 1211 sq ft.  .75 oz.
              Very easy to handle even by just the two of us.  We have used it up to 18knots true.

              We have a slightly smaller 1.5oz asym North code 3A for heavier wind and closer reaching.

              Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
              IBM Software, Rational
              Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
              Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 16, 2012

                Saturday for sure... If I get there on Friday I will send a email.

                Conrad

                    From:        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                    To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                    Date:        01/16/2012 03:39 PM

                    Wow, Bernie! What are the dimensions on that sail?

                    -tk

                    On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

                    Hi Conrad:

                    On our J/42 Amigo VI, our largest asym is a North code 3A of 1211 sq ft.  .75 oz.

                    Very easy to handle even by just the two of us.  We have used it up to 18knots true.

                    We have a slightly smaller 1.5oz asym North code 3A for heavier wind and closer reaching.

                    Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                    IBM Software, Rational
                    Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                    Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                    From:
                    "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...>
                    To:
                    j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                    Date:
                    01/15/2012 03:55 PM
                    Subject:
                    [j4x-owners-group] Asymetrical spin
                    Sent by:

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 16, 2012
                      Sorry, I guess I'm being dense. If the ISP is 52 feet and the total area is 1211 sq ft, then the foot would have to be about 46' long.  How the heck do you sheet this thing?

                      Or, is it the total sail area that is 1211 ft²? That is, including the main?

                      -tk

                      Here are the specs.

                      From:        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                      To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                      Date:        01/16/2012 03:39 PM

                      Wow, Bernie! What are the dimensions on that sail?

                      -tk

                      On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

                      Hi Conrad:

                      On our J/42 Amigo VI, our largest asym is a North code 3A of 1211 sq ft.  .75 oz.

                      Very easy to handle even by just the two of us.  We have used it up to 18knots true.

                      We have a slightly smaller 1.5oz asym North code 3A for heavier wind and closer reaching.

                      Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                      IBM Software, Rational
                      Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                      Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                      From:
                      "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...>
                      To:
                      j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                      Date:
                      01/15/2012 03:55 PM
                      Subject:

                        From:        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                        To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                        Date:        01/16/2012 05:58 PM

                        Sorry, I guess I'm being dense. If the ISP is 52 feet and the total area is 1211 sq ft, then the foot would have to be about 46' long.  How the heck do you sheet this thing?

                        Or, is it the total sail area that is 1211 ft²? That is, including the main?

                        -tk

                        On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

                        Here are the specs.

                        Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                        IBM Software, Rational
                        Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                        Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                        From:
                        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                        To:
                        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                        Date:
                        01/16/2012 03:39 PM

                        coyneb@...> wrote:

                        Hi Conrad:

                        On our J/42 Amigo VI, our largest asym is a North code 3A of 1211 sq ft.  .75 oz.

                        Very easy to handle even by just the two of us.  We have used it up to 18knots true.

                        We have a slightly smaller 1.5oz asym North code 3A for heavier wind and closer reaching.

                        Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                        IBM Software, Rational
                        Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                        Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                        From:
                        "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...>
                        To:
                        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                        Date:
                        01/15/2012 03:55 PM
                        Subject:

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 17, 2012
                          Those are the standard J/42 I, J, P, specs (although it's interesting that your spinnaker pole length is equal to your J dimension).

                          If you don't mind, I would be very interested in the sail dimensions.

                          At the risk of abusing the query, if you have a symmetrical spinnaker I'd also be interested in its dimensions. I'm in the process of fitting one, having always used an asym. I'm curious what other J/42 owners are using!

                          Cheers,

                          -tk

                          From:        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                          To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                          Date:        01/16/2012 05:58 PM

                          Sorry, I guess I'm being dense. If the ISP is 52 feet and the total area is 1211 sq ft, then the foot would have to be about 46' long.  How the heck do you sheet this thing?

                          Or, is it the total sail area that is 1211 ft²? That is, including the main?

                          -tk

                          On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

                          Here are the specs.

                          Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                          IBM Software, Rational
                          Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                          Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                          From:
                          Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                          To:
                          j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                          Date:
                          01/16/2012 03:39 PM

                          coyneb@...> wrote:

                          Hi Conrad:

                          On our J/42 Amigo VI, our largest asym is a North code 3A of 1211 sq ft.  .75 oz.

                          Very easy to handle even by just the two of us.  We have used it up to 18knots true.

                          We have a slightly smaller 1.5oz asym North code 3A for heavier wind and closer reaching.

                          Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                          IBM Software, Rational
                          Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                          Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                          From:
                          "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...>
                          To:
                          j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                          Date:
                          01/15/2012 03:55 PM
                          Subject:

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 17, 2012
                            Ok I will send my sailmaker the request.

                            I thought the std spinnaker pole is always equal to the J dimension...otherwise you pay a penalty under all the handicap systems.

                            I might have my sym spinn dimensions somewhere.  I will get back to this post.

                            From:        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                            To:
                            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                            Date:        01/16/2012 05:58 PM
                            Re: [j4x-owners-group] Asymetrical spin
                            Sent by:
                            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                            Sorry, I guess I'm being dense. If the ISP is 52 feet and the total area is 1211 sq ft, then the foot would have to be about 46' long.  How the heck do you sheet this thing?

                            Or, is it the total sail area that is 1211 ft²? That is, including the main?

                            -tk

                            On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Bernard Coyne <
                            coyneb@...> wrote:

                            Here are the specs.

                            Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                            IBM Software, Rational
                            Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                            Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                            From:
                            Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                            To:
                            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                            Date:
                            01/16/2012 03:39 PM

                            coyneb@...> wrote:

                            Hi Conrad:

                            On our J/42 Amigo VI, our largest asym is a North code 3A of 1211 sq ft.  .75 oz.

                            Very easy to handle even by just the two of us.  We have used it up to 18knots true.

                            We have a slightly smaller 1.5oz asym North code 3A for heavier wind and closer reaching.

                            Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                            IBM Software, Rational
                            Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                            Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                            From:
                            "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...>
                            To:
                            j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                            Date:
                            01/15/2012 03:55 PM
                            Subject:

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 17, 2012
                              I dug a bit deeper and here are the dimensions for my 2 asyms...a North AP2 (this is the larger cruising spinn) and my North 3A (racing/reacher).  I know these are metric but I hope they help.

                              For the G-AP2 Cruising Asymmetric, 7204649-03:

                              ASL: 16.04 m
                              ASF: 8.60 m
                              AMG: 8.26 m

                              For the new 3A, 72010548-01:

                              ASL: 16.4 m
                              ASF: 8.06 m
                              AMG: 7.48 m

                              From:        Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                              To:
                              j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                              Date:        01/16/2012 05:58 PM
                              Re: [j4x-owners-group] Asymetrical spin
                              Sent by:
                              j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com

                              Sorry, I guess I'm being dense. If the ISP is 52 feet and the total area is 1211 sq ft, then the foot would have to be about 46' long.  How the heck do you sheet this thing?

                              Or, is it the total sail area that is 1211 ft²? That is, including the main?

                              -tk

                              On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Bernard Coyne <
                              coyneb@...> wrote:

                              Here are the specs.

                              Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                              IBM Software, Rational
                              Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                              Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                              From:
                              Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                              To:
                              j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                              Date:
                              01/16/2012 03:39 PM

                              coyneb@...> wrote:

                              Hi Conrad:

                              On our J/42 Amigo VI, our largest asym is a North code 3A of 1211 sq ft.  .75 oz.

                              Very easy to handle even by just the two of us.  We have used it up to 18knots true.

                              We have a slightly smaller 1.5oz asym North code 3A for heavier wind and closer reaching.

                              Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                              IBM Software, Rational
                              Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                              Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                              From:
                              "cdsail@..." <cdsail@...>
                              To:
                              j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                              Date:
                              01/15/2012 03:55 PM
                              Subject:

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 17, 2012
                                I'm still not getting there! :-)

                                Converting to feet:
                                ASL: 52.6 ft
                                ASF: 28.2 ft

                                ASL is the average of the luff and leach length, but assuming they are roughly the same, then with a foot length of 28.2, the total area would be about 714 sq ft. Actual area is probably a bit more because the mid-girth width (AMG) is only slightly less than the foot length.  But, still much less than 1211 sq ft.

                                You're right about the spin pole length. I guess my situation is unusual in that I have a slightly longer-than-normal pole.

                                -tk

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 18, 2012
                                    The definitive answer from North:

                                    The G-AP2 is 110.78 meters squared (1,192.43 sqft), the new 3A is 102.88 meters squared (1,107.39 sqft).

                                    They are big but quite manageable.

                                    From:        Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
                                    To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date:        01/17/2012 09:30 PM

                                    I am going to send a note to my sailmaker at North and get back to you.

                                    Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                                    IBM Software, Rational
                                    Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                                    Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/

                                    From:
                                    Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                                    To:
                                    j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date:
                                    01/17/2012 09:02 PM

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 18, 2012
                                      With all due respects, that size seems wrong.
                                      Bill
                                      PS the sail area for the entire boat with jib and main is listed by J Boats as only 780sq ft.

                                      Sent from my iPad

                                      On Jan 18, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Bernard Coyne <coyneb@...> wrote:

                                      The definitive answer from North:

                                      The G-AP2 is 110.78 meters squared (1,192.43 sqft), the new 3A is 102.88 meters squared (1,107.39 sqft).

                                      They are big but quite manageable.

                                      <mime-attachment.gif>

                                      From:        Bernard Coyne/Lexington/IBM@IBMUS
                                      To:        j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                      Date:        01/17/2012 09:30 PM

                                      I am going to send a note to my sailmaker at North and get back to you.

                                      <mime-attachment.gif>
                                      Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                                      IBM Software, Rational
                                      Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...
                                      Innovate call for papers now open: ibm.com/events/global/innovate/innovate2012ems/
                                      <mime-attachment.gif>

                                      From:
                                      Thomas Keffer <tkeffer@...>
                                      To:
                                      j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com
                                      Date:
                                      01/17/2012 09:02 PM

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 26, 2012

                                        Bill,

                                        We will be there on Friday.  How can we meet?  My cell # is 630-624-6568... just give me a call and we can locate each other.

                                        Conrad Deeter

                                        630-624-6568

                                        I am considering a new Asym. I would like your insight on an appropriate size for AW angles of 105 - 160 and approx. 10-18 kt AWind speed. We have an quantum V3 that is about 950 Sq ft and it seems like the boat may be able to handle a larger AS..

                                        What are your experiences handling the J42 with a larger AS?

                                        Another J

                                      • Judy Stellin
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 26, 2012
                                          My cell # is 616 717 2124 or 616 717 1012.  We plan on being there about opening time.  I will call you and we can figure out somewhere at the show to meet.
                                          We are staying overnight and will be at the Sheraton Hotel on E Water Street, very near Navy Pier.
                                          Bill

                                          To: j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com