Re: [j4x-owners-group] J 42 Inner Forestay

  • shearwater@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 23, 2011
      Bill-

      That's an excellent idea. Trying to change sails on the bow from one storm sail to a smaller one would only be done in very bad weather. Any measure that allows crew to stay off the bow in those conditions is worth considering.

      Regards,

      Shane

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 23, 2011
        I use a synthetic Dynedux inner stay with soft-hanks for a storm jib
        size sail (soft-hanks from Coligio) on my J/37. The sail stays in a
        bag on the foredeck with its own sheets. For us (Mom and pop crew), I
        just can't see changing headsails in the conditions that would require
        it. Since we don't carry extra headsails onboard, the staysail is also
        a backup. Only used it in vain once.
        The stay has a large oversized snap shackle at its base so it can be
        easily brought back. The under deck is tied to a forward small
        bulkhead with spectra.

        Paul
        svjeorgia.blogspot.com