J 42 Inner Forestay

  • bostonblackie44
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 21, 2011
      Hi All,

      My wife Linda and I are looking at making and offer on a J42 for extended East Coast Cruising. We want to add the ability to snug down without losing windward flatness by overly deep reefing of the jib, or the lee helm caused by a storm jib on the headstay. We would like to hear from any of you who have their J42s rigged with a removable inner forestay and storm staysail.

      Did you order the boat from TPI with the foredeck attachment or did you have one installed yourself?

      What modifications did you make if any to the anchor well bulkhead to properly carry the upward deflection load?

      What kind of attachment do you have on deck (Wichard folding padeye or something more substantial?)

      Have you had water damage to the plywood locker bulkhead or the veneer covering in the vee berth?

      What fittings did you install on the mast for the inner forestay and the check stays?

      What kind of stay and hanks do you use?

      Any details or anecdotal comments about how she sails and balances in a blow with the saysail much appreciated!

      Thanks,

      Bill Bowers
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 21, 2011
        Hi, Bill!

        Hope to see you and Linda amongst the J/42 owners!

        I believe Crisis Mode, a J/42 that recently finished a circumnavigation, had an inner forestay. Website is http://www.crisismode.org. You can also contact Todd directly, at the email address given on the "Crew" page.

        -tk

        --
        Thomas Keffer

        Email: keffer@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 22, 2011
          We don't have an inner forestay and have never felt the need for one. They can be a big pain in the neck and the boat sails just fine without one. We double handed ours across the Atlantic both ways and encountered  three gales where we had to hove to with no problems. J's sail wonderfully with just a reefed main even up wind. We can sail over at 6 kts up wind with the main only in strong winds  Our boat has over 32,000 nm on her and never have I wished for a different rig. Ask yourself how often you are likely to be sailing in gale force wind up wind. If you are like most it will be seldom.  Why make tacking and sail handling more difficult.  If you are likely to have an extended passage, use a non overlapping jib which can roller reef down a bit. And this coupled with a reef in the main will allow you to go up wind at very good speeds. Frankly it is not the wind speed that is the problem but rather the seas that slam you around. Even with the optimum sail combination the ride up wind in big seas is like being in a washing machine strapped to a bucking bronco.
          Bill Stellin.   Jaywalker. #6

          Sent from my iPad

[...]

        • Con & Deb Deeter
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 22, 2011
            Yes, Crisis Mode which is now Another J (i purchased from Todd in 2010) has a stay sail setup.  Based upon conversations with Todd he used the saysail set-up within a deck bag that was always on deck and could be deployed almost anytime and fairly easily.   As you know he did a circumnave so he encountered many weather systems as you long distance sailors know.

            We used it on the Mack this year as more sail area and slot when flying an asymetrical..   We used it a couple of times in heavy air after furling the head sail and it worked well.  It is another "forestay" that does get in the way when not in use.  When not in use we tied it back to the mast.  For tightening there is a manual 'backstay' type system that is connected to the high tech line (the inner forestay) that works well and easily but is kind of a hassel when tied to the mast.  Although I use a rubber tube that slips over the metal hardware so it does not scratch anything and it works well.

            I can send some pictures of the setup if you are interested but not until late January.

            conrad
            Another J

          • shearwater@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 22, 2011
              Hi Bill-

              I have a removable inner forestay on hull number 30 (Baruna). It was installed as an option when the boat was built in 1998. The rig includes running back stays, or check stays, which are essential to support the mast when using the inner forestay (we would only rig the windward running back and ease the leeward one).

              We used the inner forestay for the first time this past November on a delivery from the Chesapeake Bay to Antigua. We got caught in the system that eventually became Tropical Storm Sean. We had sustained winds over 30 knots for 4 days. Winds were over 40 knots for half that time and we even saw sustained winds as high as 54 knots with gusts to 59 knots before we lost the instruments. Seas were 20-25 feet. We sailed down wind with only a storm jib rigged to the inner forestay for 4 days. I don't know the sail's size, but one of my crew members is a former sailmaker, and he thought it was about 200 square feet. The boat handled very well and we moved at 5-7 knots, with occasional surfing up to 15 knots. We had the roller furler lashed at the drum and around the sail by the sheets & clew when we were using the storm jib on the inner forestay. We did have a couple of knock downs, but that was due to a confused sea state more than anything else. We were never overpowered by the storm jib, but I don't know what we would have done if it got any worse. The waves were very steep and the interval was short. The idea of lying a hull or using a drouge, which would require us to put the bow into those steep waves (and hang out in the storm longer!), is a frightening idea to me, but I guess those would be the next choices if conditions got worse and the storm jib became overpowered. I do plan on getting a smaller (100 sq. ft.) storm jib to give me another option in higher winds.

              I think that a partially rolled-up jib on the headstay would have done the job, but if the roller failed, or if the furling line was released accidentally and the full sail unfurled, you could have a serious problem. Also, the center of effort would be further forward. I'm not sure how much this might affect boat handling in similar conditions, but it is worth considering. My advise is to avoid sailing in these conditions at all costs!

              You can see our track at iBoat Track:

              http://charthorizon.com/m/cz/map?vessels=Baruna&history=2011-2012&v_scope=recent

              The part in the middle where we're going just about due South was when we were in the system.

              Good luck with your search!

              Regards,

              Shane Creamer
              J 42 Baruna

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 22, 2011
                Hi Corad

                Thanks for the great summary. We use our prehanked storm staysail just as you describe on iteration, our Pearson 30 custom cutter.  She has a cut down boom to help her stand up to Buzzards Bay afternoons. She loves the staysail when it is blowing over 25.
                Pics of your rig would be great when you can.

                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 22, 2011

                  +1

                  I would be especially interested in how the running backs are terminated at both ends.

                  -tk
                  ________________
                  Blame my Android for any typos.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 22, 2011
                    Hi Shane
                    Awesome narrative! Thanks.

                    I recall Lyn and Larry Pardey on Serrafyn had a set of deep reef cringles in their crosscut staysl to allow reefing to storm size. I think they also rig a downhaul line from the staysail head to a block at the tack and back to the mast.

                    To reef, a second tack downhaul allows you to stay off the foredeck. Dump the halliard, snug the head downhaul, move the sheets to the reef clew, cleat the reef tack downhaul, release the head downhaul, and hoist. Lazy storm sheets allow the whole reef from the cockpit.

                    Nice to not have to change staysails in the crunch.

                    Best,

                    On Dec 22, 2011, at 1:03 PM, shearwater@... wrote:

                    > forestay for 4 days. I don't know the sail's size, but one of my crew members is a former sailmaker, and he thought it was about 200 square feet. The boat handled very well and we moved at 5-7 knots, with
                  • roddeyo51
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 22, 2011

                      When we bought Northern Lights (J/42 #61) last year, I asked Alan Johnstone at J/Boats about adding an inner stay. Here is his response:

                      As for innerforestay, some sailors like to have this system for offshore sailing but because the J/42 has a relatively small forward triangle and short J dimenison, the times you would likely use one are quite limited.  My advice is to sail the boat for a season and decide thereafter if it's something you really want to pursue.

                      Best Regards,

                      Alan Johnstone
                      J/Boats, Inc.

                      We've held off for now adding an inner stay and instead invested in a good (small) storm jib and trysail. Luckly, we've not had to try either out in really severe conditions.

                      Rod Deyo
                      J/42 Northern Lights (#61)

                    • shearwater@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 23, 2011
                        Bill-

                        That's an excellent idea. Trying to change sails on the bow from one storm sail to a smaller one would only be done in very bad weather. Any measure that allows crew to stay off the bow in those conditions is worth considering.

                        Regards,

                        Shane

                        I recall Lyn and Larry Pardey on Serrafyn had a set of deep reef cringles in their crosscut staysl to allow reefing to storm size. I think they also rig a downhaul line from the staysail head to a block at the tack and back to the mast.

                        To reef, a second tack downhaul allows you to stay off the foredeck. Dump the halliard, snug the head downhaul, move the sheets to the reef clew, cleat the reef tack downhaul, release the head downhaul, and hoist. Lazy storm sheets allow the whole reef from the cockpit.

                        Nice to not have to change staysails in the crunch.

                        Best,

                        On Dec 22, 2011, at 1:03 PM, shearwater@... wrote:

                        > forestay for 4 days. I don't know the sail's size, but one of my crew members is a former sailmaker, and he thought it was about 200 square feet. The boat handled very well and we moved at 5-7 knots, with

                      • Paul Lever
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 23, 2011
                          I use a synthetic Dynedux inner stay with soft-hanks for a storm jib
                          size sail (soft-hanks from Coligio) on my J/37. The sail stays in a
                          bag on the foredeck with its own sheets. For us (Mom and pop crew), I
                          just can't see changing headsails in the conditions that would require
                          it. Since we don't carry extra headsails onboard, the staysail is also
                          a backup. Only used it in vain once.
                          The stay has a large oversized snap shackle at its base so it can be
                          easily brought back. The under deck is tied to a forward small
                          bulkhead with spectra.

                          Paul
                          svjeorgia.blogspot.com