Re: [j4x-owners-group] bunks and storage and water under stove and nav table

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2011
    We also have sea water in the bilge offshore despite closing the sink seacocks.  I have attributed it to the rudder post seal leaking, especially as the stern squats lower.

    BTW I recently saw a nice check valve installed on J/46 sinks - a Hayward True Union Ball Check.

    Bernie
    Amigo VI - J/42 hull #3

    Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
    IBM Software, Rational
    Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

    From:        "tony@..." <tony@...>
    To:        "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
    Cc:        "j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com" <j4x-owners-group@yahoogroups.com>
    Date:        12/05/2011 11:44 AM
    Subject:        Re: [j4x-owners-group] bunks and storage and water under stove and nav table

    I'm stumped, heard maybe from sinks so I have tried closing sea cocks also heard maybe from the sleeve around the rudder post ! Wonder if Someone knows. Agree on the spot on the floor. I find aft cabin good too. thinking of a folding bunk in the aft cabin. T

    Sent from my iPhone

    On Dec 5, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Wayne Cassady <
    wcassady@...> wrote:

    I have the same water but have always attributed it to the bilge where we usually have a couple of inches of fresh water from the mast. As for the extra bunk, we usually fight over the spot on the cabin sole in the main cabin to port for the least motion. Previous owner had told me this and I thought he was kidding.

    On 12/5/2011 11:05 AM,
    tony@... wrote:

    I'm looking to add some storage and gain an additional bunk for offshore passages.

    THe idea i'm executing for storage is to add a 4 to 6" extension to the port shelf in the V Berth and attaching zippered enclosures, Also I plan to add add some enclosures on the Starboard side shelf without the extension. Curious if anyone has done something different to add storage.

    It seems I'm one bunk short offshore. Has anyone added a bunk either to the main salon or in the aft cabin? If so do you have pictures or tips?

    Lastly sailing up wind in a moderate to heavy sea i get sea water under the cabin sole. When healing it goes under the Nav Table drawers or under the oven. Someties it even ocmes above the floor in the Nav station. Anyone have a good idea of where this water is coming from or how to stop it? I've closed the sink sea cocks. Maybe there are some leaks along the rail, but the volume seems too great for that.

    Tony Iacono Affinity #26

  • newtmerrill
    Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2011
      Tony--I have your e-mail and, yes, I do have photos of the work we did adding a built in (tight but it works) upper bunk to starboard and a pipe berth to port in the main cabin. Both work and are HUGE additions for offshore. I will get photos to you. Re: your bilge problem--the early 42's (we're #20) had a construction flaw never acknowledged by J or the builder; there was no proper thru-hull fitting installed in anchor well drain therefore when hard on port tack water comes in drain and leaks into bilge due to poor fit and no water tight connection between hull and deck mold (Anchor well). Newt-FINESSE #20

      Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2011
        Newt
        We had water trapped in the small space under the anchor locker sole and the bulkhead between the vee birth. It came in from the drain hole which slightly nicked the bond between the floor and the hull. I fixed the hole and drilled a hole in the bulkhead on the inside behind the forward holding tank and drained the cavity. There was probably 2-3 gallons of water trapped there and had been there for years. I put a small brass barbed hose connection on the fitting and directed the hose to the space where the speedo and depth transducers are mounted. Here I can monitor to see if water is reentering, which after a few years it has not.
        For those that need proof of whether the rudder post is the source, just open the locker lid and watch closely in following seas. You will see or not see a burble of water. You might have to watch for quite a while as it usually is not a flood, just a few tablespoons which add up over a long passage.
        Bill.   Jaywalker

        Sent from my iPod