bunks and storage and water under stove and nav table

  • tony@shanomet.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
      I'm looking to add some storage and gain an additional bunk for offshore passages.

      THe idea i'm executing for storage is to add a 4 to 6" extension to the port shelf in the V Berth and attaching zippered enclosures, Also I plan to add add some enclosures on the Starboard side shelf without the extension. Curious if anyone has done something different to add storage.

      It seems I'm one bunk short offshore. Has anyone added a bunk either to the main salon or in the aft cabin? If so do you have pictures or tips?

      Lastly sailing up wind in a moderate to heavy sea i get sea water under the cabin sole. When healing it goes under the Nav Table drawers or under the oven. Someties it even ocmes above the floor in the Nav station. Anyone have a good idea of where this water is coming from or how to stop it? I've closed the sink sea cocks. Maybe there are some leaks along the rail, but the volume seems too great for that.

      Tony Iacono Affinity #26

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011

            Can’t help with the water but on the Hinckley 42 I race offshore on the owner had a bunk-shaped frame made up from SS tubing inside which is strung a sunbrella “mattress”.  The frame connects outboard to the cabinetry above the settee with two quick release hinges and inboard to two eyebolts in the headliner.  There is a single control like with a simple purchase system that allows you to angle the bunk depending on the tack so you are mostly level.  There are no lee cloths.  Makes the bunk underneath into a bit of a cocoon on stbd tack but the bunk is very desired by the crew.

            Takes about 5 minutes to rig and is easily stored in the garage when not racing.

            In colder weather the bunk can be cold as there is no insulation below but in warm weather south of the gulf steam it very nice.

            Barry

            Hopeful future J/42 owner

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
              Place to check for water source. Stuffing box & cockpit drain lines

              Capt. Joe Reed
              (410) 353-4254

              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

            • Scott Dickinson & Kim Worsham
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
                Hi,

                We have the aft starboard bunk split with sort of an inverted T mesh Lee cloth panel that mounts into tracks on each side of the bunk and then clicks into pad-eyes mounted in the back of the cockpit seating.  If you want more I might have a picture with it in use.  That along with lee cloth's that store under the mid bunks , we can sleep 4 offshore.  We used this for our race to Hawaii last round.  Midway, the forward v-berth became usable again.

                We keep the table in during the race and I found two coolers from west marine that fit in between the port settee and the table perfectly.  I thought about putting a cushion on the them, we could have a 5th bunk, but didn't need it.

                I have a book called "offshore sailing: 200 Essential Passagemaking Tips" that had some fantastic ideas we copied for our preparations. Author Bill Selefert and Daniel spurr.  I got it off amazon.

                Hope this helps

                Scott
                Tiki J, J/42 #33.

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
                  Re water. Because the bottom is quite flat water runs easily up the insides when heeling. Most likely cause is the rudder tube stuffing. If you have the kind of stuffing with flax cord, you can tighten it and that should stop the leak. The stuffing box is higher than the middle of the boats bottom( keel area) so the water runs down to the bilge and when heeled doesn't even get to the bilge. Instead it runs alongside and comes out wherever it can. Pitching of the boat let's slosh back and forth. When the boat is upright it drains into the bilge sump and is pumped out. Unfortunately on long passages where you might be heeled severely for hours, the water seldom drains into the sump. Get it fixed quick because salt water sloshing inside the boat will ruin everything it touches especially the fuel tanks which are made of aluminum and electrical wires like around the fresh water pump.
                  Bill Stellin.   Jaywalker. #6

                  Sent from my iPod

                • shearwater@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
                    Bill-

                    I experienced the water under the nav station recently on a delivery to Antigua. It went away when we were upright and after we cleared a clogged lubber hole just forward of the sinks in the galley. I also noticed some water (a cup or two) sloshing around in the rudder box above the lower bearing with a strong following sea. Do I need to tighten the rudder tube stuffing, or is a couple of cups normal? If I need to tighten the rudder tube stuffing, how do I do that?

                    Thanks,

                    Shane Creamer
                    J 42 #30
                    Baruna

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 5, 2011
                      Hi, Tony.

                      Still another place to look for leaks: the bulkhead between the anchor locker and the forward stateroom. The slots in the anchor locker hatch plus the windlass hawsepipe can let in enough water that you can get a foot or two of water in the anchor locker, especially when hard on the wind. I am aware of two boats that had leaky conduits between the locker and the stateroom, resulting in water running through the boat.

                      As for storage, Jim Wilson on CEOR MOR had the factory put in some attractive drawers under the  v-berth, as well as real lockers above, on the bulkhead mentioned above. Here are a couple of pictures I took of Jim's setup when I ran into him in New Zealand last year.

                      Bill and Kathy Cuffel made some similar retrofits to JARANA, but I don't have any pictures.

                      Cheers,

                      -tk

                      --
                      Thomas Keffer

                      Email: keffer@...

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 2011
                        We also have sea water in the bilge offshore despite closing the sink seacocks.  I have attributed it to the rudder post seal leaking, especially as the stern squats lower.

                        BTW I recently saw a nice check valve installed on J/46 sinks - a Hayward True Union Ball Check.

                        Bernie
                        Amigo VI - J/42 hull #3

                        Market Mgr - Change & Configuration Management Solutions
                        IBM Software, Rational
                        Office: 720-396-6297 | Email: coyneb@...

                        Message 12 of 13 , Dec 6, 2011
                          Tony--I have your e-mail and, yes, I do have photos of the work we did adding a built in (tight but it works) upper bunk to starboard and a pipe berth to port in the main cabin. Both work and are HUGE additions for offshore. I will get photos to you. Re: your bilge problem--the early 42's (we're #20) had a construction flaw never acknowledged by J or the builder; there was no proper thru-hull fitting installed in anchor well drain therefore when hard on port tack water comes in drain and leaks into bilge due to poor fit and no water tight connection between hull and deck mold (Anchor well). Newt-FINESSE #20

                          Message 13 of 13 , Dec 6, 2011
                            Newt
                            We had water trapped in the small space under the anchor locker sole and the bulkhead between the vee birth. It came in from the drain hole which slightly nicked the bond between the floor and the hull. I fixed the hole and drilled a hole in the bulkhead on the inside behind the forward holding tank and drained the cavity. There was probably 2-3 gallons of water trapped there and had been there for years. I put a small brass barbed hose connection on the fitting and directed the hose to the space where the speedo and depth transducers are mounted. Here I can monitor to see if water is reentering, which after a few years it has not.
                            For those that need proof of whether the rudder post is the source, just open the locker lid and watch closely in following seas. You will see or not see a burble of water. You might have to watch for quite a while as it usually is not a flood, just a few tablespoons which add up over a long passage.
                            Bill.   Jaywalker

                            Sent from my iPod